VIDEO: IFA 2016 Best TVs and more

120FPS is the tech I'm waiting for before purchasing a 4K TV. Do current sets accept the signal?

120FPS is the tech I'm waiting for before purchasing a 4K TV. Do current sets accept the signal?
No, as far as I'm aware none of the current sets can accept 100/120p and I don't think HDMI 2.0a/b can handle it either. You're right, it's the last stage – 4K, WCG, HDR and HFR.

Was there any mention of Sony televisions being updated by firmware to do HLG at IFA?

No, but the biggest problem is not hardware but content generation.
For movies we are still stuck to 24fps and many detractors sayed that higher framerate will be detrimental to artistic creations (the word is video-like). Which is dumb, having more freedom of choice in artistic creation is obviously better (you can create the blur or judder in postproduction if you like, the same they created film grain on digital material).
For TV shows, especially sports, the progress will be like night and day.
It's interesting that other visitors mentioned that LG not only shows HFR+HLG, but astounding HEVC performance compression/quality (2160p100 at 25Mbps).

Was there any mention of Sony televisions being updated by firmware to do HLG at IFA?
Sony didn't mention any HLG upgrades for their TVs but they did say they would be updating their projectors, so it seems logical that they could also update their TVs. Other manufacturers like Philips, LG and Samsung also said that they planned to update their 2016 TVs for HLG, so I'd say it was highly likely.

Steve and Mircea.

The other thing is that people who bought 4K Blu Ray will have to upgrade again.

Positive things have been said about Ang Lee'new film after being demoed at 120FPS. If received well by cinema goers, then more movies will be released, and we will eventually see new 4K players that can do HFR above 60FPS.

CES is clearly the show that matters, just not sure we will get much closer to a future proof screen by next year's event.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom