1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Gaming On Plasmas???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dr Pumpstain, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some say it's ok, some say it's a no go but what is the general opinion on playing video games via a plasma screen and are there any hints and tips out there to avoid damage? Cheers.

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think most people say it's a no go from the "burn" effect that can happen (a lot of games have "static" images on them - like a speedometer, or "life meter", or something.)

From what I've read it seems like you should just take care not to play too many games during the "run in" period (200 hours?) - but after that you'll be fine.

Many people say that gaming on plasmas is great - as they can accept progessive signals - which look better than what you'll see on a CRT.

ZedZed

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I use my plasma (Hitachi 42PD3000, soon to be replaced by a 5300) for gaming with my XBOX - as long as you are sensible and don't have static images for hours end you shouldn't do any permanent hard. If I use mine for a few hours, you can see image retention but this goes after a minute or so of TV watching.

I think a lot depends on the type of game you are playing - for example, I play a lot of Project Gotham Racing 2 which, obviously, has static images on for speedo etc. However, they are only on for the duration of the race and after each one you go to the menus so the image changes.

Turn the contrast down and don't use it for gaming for the first 100-200 hours and you should be fine.

John

4. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help, I am happier about hooking my consoles up now!

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,667
    played xbox on mine from day1 , no problems so far

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If Jon is OK on his Hitachi then it's OK on any plasma. They, followed by Pioneer, are the most prone to after-image and more permanent burn. But really you have to be foolish to do it, just take proper breaks from games, just like you know you should, and all will be well. I think a majority of my clients have consoles connected, I give them the standard anti-screeburn talk, and nobody has had the trouble, or not that they've told me.

7. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW, any comment on how prone Samsung scrrens are to burn-in?

8. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've been wondering about this screen burn lark. I understand that keeping the same image on screen for too long leaves a mark. But how quickly does the screen forget the image?

I mean say you spend a hour with something static in the corner on the screen, and then press pause (assume the pause takes you to a fully animated menu for this example) how long would it have to be paused for so the screen forgets the image for you to go back to playing for another hour.

What I'm trying to say is, if you have a static image on for an hour, pause for two minutes while you nip for a drink or whatever and then return unpause and put the static image back in the same spot. Would the "burn time" been reset because something else has been shown in that space, or would it remember the image for longer than that thereby being the same as if you hadn't paused.

Basically in a game at some point before you reach "burning point" you will return to a menu or it will cut to a FMV sequence, so does this remove the risk of the burn from a static image?

Similarily with the likes of the Sky One logo, it may be on screen for 10/15 minutes but in the ad breaks it always disappears. So could I have Sky One on my screen 24 hours a day (not that I would but for examples sake) and at the end of it I wont have the Sky One logo burnt into the screen because although it's been in the same spot all day it's been broken up every 10 minutes with 2 minutes of adverts.

I'm not sure if I've worded my question well, but in a nutshell I guess I'm asking how long does the plasma hold the image in it's "memory"....

Thanks.

9. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have used my xbox on my PW6 from day one. I played Project Gotham 2 for 8 hours the other day with no image retention at all once I was done. Although as already mentioned you do get menus etc pop up after races so you probably only get the speedo etc on screen for 10 mins or so max at a time.

10. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it really depends on who manufactures your screen as to whether you will experience any problems???

11. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Been using my PS2 with the panny and no problems at all :smashin: Silent Hill 4 is currently the best game i'm playing at the moment along with kill.switch :)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Very screen dependent, yes. Panasonic are probably most resistant. As to pausing from play, 2 mins is not enough. I hr playing, on a Pioneer or Hitachi I'd advise using a 'screen wipe' type screensaver, ie a moving white bar. Just turning off does not do the trick. But it can even take weeks for 'residual image' to go, I had a Pio 50" with SW AOTC menu burned into it after a weekend of neglect (I had a Saturday off) which took 3 weeks to go, but it did go in the end.

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've found that, for image retention, playing a game is no worse than watching Sky News for an hour or so or watching a DVD with black bars at the top and bottom. The logos and banners on Sky News always leave a faint trace behind on my screen if I watch it for a while but, again, the image dissappears if you watch another channel.

Certainly, you've got nothing to worry about with Sky One as the logo isn't displayed during the adverts although some of the other channels (such as Challenge and Boomerang) keep the logo on through the adverts.

As MAW says, you've really got to leave a static image on for many, many hours before you run the risk of permanent burn.

John

14. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    These screen savers then that wipe across the screen, do they come on automatically or do you need to initiate them when you know there will be a still image on there.

What's the dif between an advert for example breaking up a static image and a white line? I guess it's to do with it being white? A bit like when you pull the magnetic strip across a magnadoodle! lol!