Video games on the 506XDE.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Blue Triangles, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I think this tv is great all in all and I'm happy with my purchase. However, I've just run into my First issue with it. Some Xbox games, especially First person shooters have this horrible blur effect when you turn the camera at pace. Halo 2 is unplayable, ended up with a thumping headache and streaming eyes. I compared this with my Philips CRT (100hz One), and that was miles better! Shame really as the picture on the 506 after a bit of tweaking was pin sharp (Paper Mario on the Gamecube looks incredible).

Can anyone explain to me the reasons for this, also has anybody else had issues with video games on a Pioneer tv?

Thanks.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not encountered this one, my 4 506 customers so far have all been mature gentlemen with young kids, ie not halo customers. The last x-box to Pioneer I did was for a guy user name Emad, some may remember the tale! So a bump for Panzer, this needs to be seen.

3. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Maw. Although I have a feeling I won't like what I'll read. ;)

I'm really hoping the Xbox360 via component don't give the same effect, do you think it will Maw? Isn't there less conversions happening when ouputting progressive?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Less screen work with progressive, for sure. Except if it's HD. But then they don't do this on HDMI 720p. You are on RGB scart at the moment I take it? I'd be interested in any comments on this, I'd hate to find it the hard way, on an install site. This is exactly why I spend time on the forum, wearing out my weary keyboard.

5. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That's right, it's RGB scart at the moment. Will this have something to do with it? Or is it to do with framerate conversion?

The 360 will be HD through component or VGA.

6. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Not liking this thread, xbox 360 is one of the main reasons for my 436xde purchase! Be gutted if its not suitable for some xbox live domination!

7. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Then me and you are in exactly the same position fulllupo. It's the main reason I bought a HD screen, when I read in quite a few places that the Pioneer's HD performance is so good, I chose their screen.

It's strange really. A game like DOA3 looks astounding with no bluring effect whatsoever. It seems FPS games suffer most.

Of course, this is just me. Others may see it different, if at all. Maybe I'm just to fussy.

8. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I mailed Pioneer about this issue yesterday. This is their response....

Thanks for your email.

Plasma in general work a completely different wayt to a CRT in the sense that the entire picture is formed whereas a CRT uses lines on information, so there is more chance of picture issues on fast moving images. I would suggest entering the pro-adjust menu and alter the PureCinema to see if this helps the picture. Also it may be worth changing the CTI, DNR, MPEG & DRE to off.

9. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Doesnt inspire much faith in plasma gaming.

Out of curiousity, is your pio run in now or still fresh from the box? I have heard before that turning off alot of these 'enhancements' like purecinema helps.

25 days odd to go....Gotham 3 and Perfect Dark Zero at launch im thinking

10. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    It has done 130 hours now. The picture is getting better all the time. I'm watching Two Towers now in 1080i and it's breathtaking.

I just now tried turning off all those things they mention and there is a slight improvement I think. I must admit Resident Evil 4 looks superb!

I can't wait to see PGR3 and Kameo in HD!

11. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've pre-ordered a xbox360 with Project Gotham 3 and Perfect Dark, I've been reading this forum for weeks trying to decide between the 42pv500 and the 436xde. I was about to jump in and buy the xde this week but came across this thread. I'm now going to wait for the 360 to come out and see what results everyone gets on their HD plasmas. I Play mainly first person shooters and would be absolutely gutted if the result is as you mention after spending 2.5k on a screen. If the results are favourable I'll get a plasma then, if not I'll wait another generation....I've waited this long. It's not like I've got a portable, I have a 2 year old 36" FS70, not HD obviously, but I'm sure the 360 will look fine on it anyway.

12. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That's probably the best thing to do. You could always take your 360 into somewhere like Comet and demo yourself, It's alot of money after all. I took my Xbox into Comet when I bought the XDE, I was looking out for picture quality and never thought of that sort of thing.

13. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    seems like plasma are only good for one thing, :thumbsdow photographs

14. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    What about dvd's?

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,633
    I play lots of xbox on my plasma, no problems on Rainbow Six, PGR, Far Cry etc. No different to my 32" panny CRT.

16. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Calm down dear!

I have finished Halo2 in my 434 (Component rather than RGB and modded to output NTSC 480p/720p).

Switch the input to GAME mode and evrything is 110% fine, no problems, no need to panic or cancel your order.

17. StefanoC

StefanoC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget at the recent Tokyo Games Show, Microsoft partnered with Pioneer to use thier displays for the main screenings of PGR3, Kameo, PDZ etc, haven't read any reports of blurred images. I've played a few games on my 436 and have had no issues, although I am using the official Hi-def component lead for my Xbox.

18. akcampbell

akcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the issue here is deinterlacing and scaling. You're feeding your plasmas 480i and it's deinterlacing and scaling to 1280x768 or 720p. Plasma media box deinterlacing and scaling is not that great so you end up with motion smearing and slightly fuzzy edges. CRT on the other hand looks great with a pure unprocessed 480i feed so you don't have the problem. My Xbox looks best at 480i on my Philips 9618 CRT. Everything other than that compromises the picture. The more motion the more compromise. Even using a good external scaler like the iScan HD+ to my Mitsubishi 22" CRT monitor via VGA doesn't produce brilliant results if you've got a good CRT TV picture to compare it to. Plasmas and LCD aren't ideal for Xbox gaming. Provided they are HD ready they will be much better with the Xbox 360 because it outputs 720p which can be displated unprocessed on a plasma. If you want to optimise Xbox gaming on your Plasma get a next generation Crystalio II, HD Vantage, or Lumagen external scaler. Don't forget that all the HD component Xbox cable does it give you a higher quality video feed from the Xbox over the above the standard composite. This gives you a better quality input for deinterlacing and scaling. It doesn't do anything to the resolution of the video.

19. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    So you're saying XBOX360 through component at 720p should be much better?

20. akcampbell

akcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I'm saying Xbox through component at 480i is slightly better than Xbox through composite at 480i. The 720p bit depends on deinterlacing and scaling which tends to be pretty average in most Plasma media boxes that do this for you.

21. scoobyroo

scoobyroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmm.....

I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade my old faithful 42" Tosh Rear projection, mainly to take advantage of XB360 HD games.

Both the XBox and the PS2 always looked a little washed out on the Tosh and there was a good deal of motion blur as well (as in fuzzing/blurring of the image), mainly in fast moving scenes (pro Evo scrolling across field, Forza... errr, pretty much everything :) ). At the time (3 years ago) the Tosh was a good price, I wanted the size and it seemed to fit the bill... never really considered the gaming impact at the time.

Anyway, there is a point to all this. I've spent the last week pouring over forums, magazines and online reviews to try and get a handle on which HD TV to complement the 360.

CRT was out straight away... to darn small. Rear Projection... hmmm, concerns over the ghosting and fuzziness of a projected image. Projector.... hmmmm, again projected image, how would it cope with a well light room in daylight, plus the hassle of getting cables running to the projector (behind me) without diging up the wooden flooring.

So it left LCD and Plasma. Being a big PC gamer, I have experience of laggy LCD's.... sure, I now have a nice 4ms 19" and the ghosting is much improved, but i can still see some ghosting/blurring..... perhaps my posnatroic brain processes information too fast :lesson:

the only HD type i couldn't find any bad posts on was plasma and gaming. Sure all the posts about screen burn, but I really don;t see this is still the problem it used to be. So Plasma was the choice, now the hard bit... which one.

I short listed the recommended ones, It had to be bigger than the Tosh or I'd feel cheated (50", check), made sure they had DVI (check), HDMI (check), a couple of RGB scart (check), HDCP (check) and came to the following short list:

Panny PHD8
    Fujitsu P50XHA40US
    Pioneer PDP 506XDE

A few more days research ensued (shant bore you any more than I already have) and I picked the Pioneer.... wow, what a screen! Have a Pioneer Amp, DVD player and CD player... and once again they stole my heart.

Anyway..... stage three (final stage). Get one on order and delivered before next Friday! Looked at 40 vendors (on and off net), and settled on Buy Your AV buyyourav.com. A good mix of price (£3129), delivery cost (£40), delivery lead-time (days) and pay later option (10% down, rest in 12 months). Of course, a call through to Buy Your AV produced the expected result... no stock!

Arrrgghhh. Now i don;t normally make a rule of ordering from places where they don;t have stock, but the guy seemed quite genuine and was convinced that they would receive stock tomorrow or Wednesday (apparently pioneer now have more and are ready to ship). Most other places are either out of stock, or just don;t offer the all round package Buy Your AV did. So I took the chance...... I'll let you know how it goes.

So the point of my reply (at last!). Well it's sods law that within 10 minutes of placing my order, I found this thread! Seriously you guys, this is not what I need to be hearing right now. I appreciate that a few guys have posted to try to eleviate any concerns, but it's nagging me in the back of my mind. the initial poster seems absolutely convinced that he has got real problems, even after adjusting the recommended settings.

Will the 360 be different? (no one knows yet), will 720P remove ghosting? (can't be sure reading the replies) would running it in 1080i improve things? (think not), can i even choose what deff it runs at? (thought the 360 did this, not the control box?... which scaler takes priority?).

Have spent the last few hours trolling for HD comparison shots against regular CRT and more specifically impressions of gaming on a Plasma (pref the 506XDE of course... but any would do). Don;t get me wrong, I know I;m going to love the Pioneer... no doubt.... but my sole reason for upgrading (please don't criticize) was the 360. nope, I haven't got more money than sense, I'm just passionate about games.

Has anyone else got a 506DXE, used a console on it?... how did it look, any blurring or ghosting. Also thought it might be a laugh to rig up the PC to it for a 50" UT2004 tourney..... am I just going to be plauged by burring, has anyone tried it?

Sorry for the over-long thread.... if you've reached this point, you're probably as passionate about making the right choice as me and I would really appreciate your views.

One final thing. i don't think you can (after having downloaded the manual), but does anyone know if it's possible to use the two HDMI inputs for 'Picture and picture' (yup, I am thinking two 360's on one screen :))

Cheers all.... waiting with fingers well and truly crossed! :lease:

Scoob

22. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Firstly Scooby, I don't think you'll regret your purchase. I think the 506XDE is a fantastic tv, it gets better every time I switch it on now.

Secondly, I've run the screen in for 250 hours now and have been using my Xbox/Cube/PS2 on it freely. Let me state this first, the games look fantastic on it through RGB, they really do. The bluring issue might not even be something that will bother you, or even notice. I certainly didn't notice it until I went looking for it. To be honest the only game it really caused a concern on for me was Halo 2, but now I think that playing such an intense game (it was online) looking at such a big screen that I wasn't used to may have been a problem. I've just been playing Pikmin 2 with my young son for Three hours on the Gamecube and it didn't even cross my mind.

As for the HDMI question. You can't show Two HDMI inputs through picture in picture. Only One external input with the tv picture.

23. siemed

siemed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I also think that gaming on the 506XDE is perfect. No problems for me. Can't wait to see how the 360 looks on this screen.
    I saw that Panzer22 watched Two Towers in 1080i on the screen.
    I asume this was donw by an pc. How did you connect youre pc to the Pioneer?

Thanks.

24. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No I watched it on an upscaling DVD player. Not HD but impressive nonethe less. I think the picture on the standard 576 lines is fairly poor to be honest.