Video Essentials

D

d_devani

Can someone please help me as to where I can get hold of a Video Essentials dvd or anything similar to set up my audio video setup.:confused:

Originally posted by d_devani
Can someone please help me as to where I can get hold of a Video Essentials dvd or anything similar to set up my audio video setup.:confused:

Recent THX DVDs have THX Optimode Setup function that provides you with some basic calibration noises and diplays. You could also consider the following alternative set up discs - 'Avia' and 'The Ultimate DVD Platimum'.

Suppliers which may stock the discs include

www.movietyme.com and www.play.com

I'd head down the THX optimiser route first and then consider a bespoke calibration disc (perhaps second hand in the classifieds).

:)

Video Essentials has been discontinued for some time. AVIA is suitable for end user set up. It has patterns you need and good descriptions of what they are for. You can buy it through www.amazon.com

Gordon

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Avia have "AVIA Guide to Home Theater (1999) " & "Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (2001) " for sale do I need both, also is it possible to get these from the UK ???
The "Ultimate DVD Platinum (1999)" doesnt seem to be rated that highly

Thanks for the help everyone..
:)

You can get AVIA direct. www.ovationsw.com

As Gordon says, Toshiba players can have trouble navigating the menus but make sure you switch ON the subtitles (via the remote) and you´ll be ok.

FYI I have Video Essentials. Bought it many moons ago, it was actually designed for laser disc and converted to be used with dvd.

Take the other guys advice and get the 'Ultimate Platinum', even if you could find 'essentials' its dated and won't give you all that the other discs will !!!

Stace ;)

are there any video display calibration discs out there designed for use on a PAL system? They all seem to be NTSC specific. And would this make any difference?

Seems to me the AVIA is a firm favorite with everyone..
Though after going on the ovations website there seems to be a AVIA PRO disc coming out soon, so I might wait for that.
I'm gonna hook the plasma up this weekend, as apparently the stand shuld be with me tommorrow. will try and hold out unless the picture is really bad...

Have most people found that it is always necessary for this calibration procedure....
Are the factory default settings that bad...

Hi,

If you don't want to buy Avia or Video Essentials right now then just use the THX Optimode (as someone suggested) available on some discs. While Avia is more user friendly, Video Essentials includes some useful video test footage. There is a new version of this disc due out in the 'near' future and there should be a pal version available as well.

Brian.

Whatever happened to the updated `Video Essentials` that Joe Kane was working on with all the new tests - sub workouts/dts/7.1 setup etc... I thought this was due way earlier this year,and as Gordon pointed out that was the reason for having deleted the original ??

The updated DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS ESSENTIALS is currently being edited and mastered for 1080i/720P d-theatre tape srelease. Shorlty after that the NTSC and PAL discs are set to come out. There will be END USER and PRO user versions of these discs. They will also have new test material.

Hope this is of use.

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom