1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Essentials with Z1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JamesPA, Feb 18, 2003.

1. JamesPA

JamesPA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to calibrate my PLV Z1 to maximize the PQ. Source is a Philips DVD963SA outputting PAL progressive.

AFAIK there are no PAL calibration dvds available as yet, and I don't want to wait weeks for one to appear!

The Video Essentials (NTSC) calibration dvd looks the best for me so far.

I've got mainly R2 dvds and a few R1s. Will the calibration help both types of dvd?

Anyone else calibrated this setup (Z1 & 963SA)? What results did you get?

Thanks.

2. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If your setting up a projector the best disk IMHO is AVIA.

I have used both and the AVIA disk is far better and has much more detailed tests to optimise a display of this type. I have used it in conjunction with SMART II to calibrate my Sony 11HT.

I believe a new version is due but I have no dates as yet, to be called AVIA Pro.

Phil

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    There are PAL test discs. Referenz is one. AVIA has suitable patterns for fixed pixel devices and video processors. VE has some scenes in Montage of Images which can be used to set contrast. Pluge is no use for this with fixed pixel devices

Gordon

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    An interesting statement, which implies that pluge can be used for crt projectors but not for lcds, dlps etc. If that is so would you care to explain why?

Bill

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Bill,

I have just seen this post.

Pluge is no use because with CRT the increase in contrast over energises the phosphor causing the top white box to bloom or expand. LCD and DLP do not exhibit this phenomenon. Even plasma which is a phosphor based emmission doesn't as the phosphor pixel is encapsulated and cannot expand.

What tends to happen with these devices is that the increase in contrast will not cause blomming but will often cause a crushing of the intensity scale meaning bright details will be lost. You could put up a grey ramp to see check this if you wanted.

On programme material from V.E. you can pause the scene in the montage of images where the fish jumps out the weir. Look at where the waterfall is hitting the lower part of the river. There should be an obvious delinteated line where the two meet. Turn up contrast and see what happens.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

6. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply.

I understand that CRT displays defocus when overdriven, and that digital displays clip more sharply than CRTs when overdriven.

Surely pluge is used to set the black level and contrast correctly so that the black boxes are just visible, and the whites are set correctly. If the whites defocus, or clip, the display is being overdriven and you lose image quality whatever type of display is in use.

After all, pluge is just a greyscale with a small number of steps and a very useful method of setting blacks.

Bill

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    You use PLUGE boxes to set Contrast and I'll do it my way.

Yes, it is for setting as you say. What I am saying is that the steps are TOO BIG to see if white detail is being crushed or clipped. If you are happy setting your display up in this manner then carry on.

Gordon

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Gordon on this one. I personally wouldn't use a PLUGE pattern to set white level. After all, a typical PLUGE pattern is used to set black level and consists of three dark pluge pulses.
    They are hard to see and this is why AVIA in particular uses the moving black bars.
    I do not see why anyone would use a PLUGE pattern to set white level when a greyscale would do a much better job.