1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Essentials or Avia ??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Nov 13, 2000.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen that the Video Essentials callibration disc is available for about £19 on special ($26.97 shipped in US ).

Worth picking up, or is it worth paying a little extra (about £22 equiv)for the Avia ?

Obviously I`m thinking ahead , but depending on the "shootout" , I`ll either be getting the Sony or the new Seleco projector.

Also posted on the DVD Player forum this morning re. prog scan players in the States.The new Sony 9000 is out - is it worth bringing over? (apparently can be got for about $1000, retail is $1500), see dvd forum for more.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I found Avia easier to use for my Sony 10HT ( I have VE as well).

As for the Sony 9000, I'd wait until the reviews start appearing - initial indications are that it has problems with RCE discs but I'd suspect this will be corrected for the US/UK versions. The picture quality is also being touted as being no better than the Pioneer but again this is an early comment with no real substance, however its worth waiting to see what our American cousins have to say - they started receiving their players last week so the reviews should be up soon.
    Paul

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right - and on reflection , I`m not really interested in DVD-A (or equiv) , just getting the very best picture I can. Reiner(on the DVD forum ) mentioned the "Cinematrix" PSM1 modification. First I`ve heard of it , but it sounds awesome !.Anyone here have any experience of it, or cost ?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Tiberious: There have been plenty of discussions about this mod over at the AVSforums.

It seems to be great for the money, however there do seem to be certain discs which cause it problems in processing the picture properly. Generally these seem to have been cartoons.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !