Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Video Essentials, Avia and The Calibrator question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MrCoopz, Aug 13, 2002.

1. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I havnt brought a calibration disk yet and was wondering how it works.

I have found out that the Panny stores the settings for each source. eg component, S-Video and PC connection like wide 480 and 720 and not one setting for all .

So my question is, Are these disks just used to set up the source that the DVD player uses or can u set up ur PS2, Sky Digital and PC picture as well?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    With any set up disc you are calibrating the chain. ie DVD player, cables, projector, screen....etc. But only using that source. There are standards written down for what the outputs should be on devices though so if you use your DVD and a disc then, all being well, you should be able to use very similar settings for other sources, (providing they don't deviate from reference too much)

Place you are most likley to get in to trouble is with different black levels from NTSC and PAL. If your DVD has the ability set its Black level to 0ire rather than 7.5Ire when you are doing calibration.

Gordon

3. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    I'm interested in your remark re the different blacks for NTSC and PAL. What's the difference? I use a mixture of DVD's with both the above, and am considering buying the Panasonic PTAE100E.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    The difference is that NTSC setup has the reference for video black at 7.5ire. The reference for video black with PAL is 0ire. This means that the brightness setting will be different for both.

Most DVD players allow you to change NTSC reference black level output to 0ire. This is what I would recommend doing. You wont get any bad side effects and you wont have to faff around changing brightness levels

Gordon