Video Editing - Space required

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by the_gaffer, Jul 29, 2004.

1. the_gaffer

the_gaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have a Dell Laptop that has a firewire port and USB1 ports and 512 DDR Ram. Is that enough Ram for video editing?

I have recently bought a digital camcorder and was looking into editing the film on my laptop.

The problem is that I don't have enough space to do it so I need to buy more storage...

I suppose I've got to decide between a firewire DVD Burner or an External firewire HardDrive.

I am leaning towards the DVD Burner for a few reasons:
    - I could backup what I've got
    - I could make DVDs with menus and stuff from my home videos...

I was wondering, If I bought a DVD Burner that supported DVD-RAM, could I edit the film on the DVD-Ram "on the fly" without transfering it to my laptop's Hard Drive?

Could I plug the camcorder into the DVD Burner without using the laptop for transferring?

Could someone advise me a decent model?

thanks

gaffer

2. the_gaffer

the_gaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? :lease:

gaffer

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Why? You can daisey chain firewire devices together, so therefore there is no reason to not get both a DVD burner and a hard drive.

NO! There are no optical drives that are fast enough for direct video capture.

My advise on a DVD burner would be the latest Pioneer A07/107. Either get it already installed in a firewire case or buy the case yourself. It wont write to RAM, but will read it.

Mark.