Video editing software recommendations

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing's first, the budget will be up to £0-80ish.

I neglected to mention in this post that I'd like to be able to add audio/commentary (using my mic, a Samson CO1U) to some videos in the future.

Also, I got a little more money coming for my birthday than expected, so can go up to £100.

PC Specs:
Windows 8 64bit
AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor @ 4.01ghz
16gb ram
gigabyte 7970 ghz edition (3gb video memory)

Things I want to be able to do with the software include:

1. I record TV from my tuner card on my pc, and want to cut out the adverts so I can watch my recordings un-interrupted when I move them to a usb stick and watch on my mede8er before deleting them again.

2. I would like to make/author/create/burn blu ray and dvd discs of my sd and hd home movies etc.... also have the ability to use menus with pictures, text, music and animated backgrounds etc....

3. I like to record my gameplay sessions with fraps/dxtory @ 1080p, so for editing I'd like to be able to edit parts out I don't want, add commentry/special effects/intros/outres etc.... quite possibly upload them to youtube and also shove them on my mediaplayer to watch back. The more tools to play with the better.

4. If at all possible, be able to create 3D (not the red/cyan type, the newer type like I have on my projector for my 3D blu rays) mkvs (or similar containers), blurays etc.... out of my home videos, gaming videos etc....

I have found these:
Cyberlink Power Director 12 Ultimate
Adobe Premiere Elements 12
Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite
Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate

I have read good things about the first three, but not really read much about Pinnacle as past pinnacle products have been a nightmare for me, that was years ago though, so I'm not sure what they are like now.

From all I have read, Power Director 12 Ultimate has a load of customisation options, and appears to be the best out there for the money, but of course I'm not sure as I am just trying out the demos of these programs at the moment and not sure which is the best of the lot.

I know about Sony Vegas Pro, but I'm not really in a position where I can spend £700 on a program, as I don't have that much, and I'm obviously not a professional.

Please advise on what best to go for and any suggestions are really appreciated :smashin:

Cheers

tris

Last edited:
multiAVCHD you might useful, can make Blu-ray discs and a ton of other stuff, best of all it's free.

BDtoAVCHD can also create 3D ACVHD discs and MKV files from 3D Blu-ray's (must feed BDMV folder to get 3D option), also free.

Don't know what editing packages to suggest.

This thread might help: Video Editing Bangs per Buck | AVForums
I would suggest that any questions regarding video editing are best asked in Camcorders & Video Editing | AVForums as that is where I and others that use the software spend most of our time ;) . If you want the thread moved there then click on the !Report button and the section Moderator will get it moved for you :smashin:

Mark.

Had a bit of advice, but just had this thread moved here in the hope some of you with some more experience with various video editors could offer some advice :)

tris

The latest version of Corel VideoStudio Pro is just out.(X7) Designed for 64 bit machines and will handle 3D and 4K.
I moved from Pinnacle some two years ago and, on the advice of my Dealer, got VS X5. It is far more stable than Pinnacle and a very flexible editor. I have had no software problems with it and, judging from others comments, many have found it to be most reliable. I am now running X7 which is very new so have only limited experience of it but the basics are the same as X6 which I ran for over a year.
I do suggest you go for the free download and try it out.

I was just recently diagnosed here as suffering from Sonyitis (chronica?), so for fear of infecting anyone I can only refer to the thread mentioned by Mark the mod.

Thank for the replies

I neglected in the first post that I'd like to be able to add audio/commentary (using my mic, a Samson CO1U) to some videos in the future.

Also, I got a little more money coming for my birthday than expected, so can go up to £100.

I'll amend the first post.

I have tried the trials of quite a few of them:

Pinnacle I can't get this to install on my system at all, I have tried all the usual ways of getting a program to install, compatibility mode, run as admin etc.... So I'm not sure I want to buy that one if I can't even get the demo to install.

Sony Seems pretty complicated looking at the layout with all the box's etc.... (I expect it's just a case of having a learning curve), I have had a bit of time to get used to it and have a basic understanding now, but every time I try to put a .ts movie file into it it seems to lock up and not respond.

I tried renaming the file to mpg, mkv, avi, etc.... just in case it was a container problem, but nothing seemed to get it to take the file, it just locked up.

Power Director The first time I tried it, it produced the video but cut out the sound. The second time the sound was there, but it created a 6gb video file from a 3gb.ts(.mpg) file.

Premiere Elements also created a 6gb file with sound, but the sound was completely out of sync.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the audio to sync properly with Adobe Premiere Elements. It decodes the 3.3gb test file I'm using for all the tests in about 30 minutes, Power Director takes about an hour.

Magix I have tried also, and it seems pretty good.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 I have just downloaded the trial for since Terfyn just mentioned it and I'd not heard of that one.
Edit: Although it renders at 40 minutes, it seems I get audio sync issues with Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 too, where I don't with the others apart from Adobe Premiere. It also appears to degrade the video quality.

Obviously I'm not sure with Sony MS as I cannot get the software to use the .ts file at all.

The fastest at encoding on my system seem to be (all around 30 minutes for a 80 minute video, the Magix one was restricted to 3 minutes and was done in about 5 minutes):
Adobe Premier 12
Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13
and
Magix Movie Edit Pro 14

Cyberlink Power Director takes longer than any of them, although on their site, they say theirs is the fastest at encoding

As for creating 3D videos out of my home, gaming videos etc.... it's not essential, but I would like to have it in the software to play with :)
(I use dvdfab for all my ripping, and that has an option to convert a 2d bluray/video to 3d. I find it quite good when using SBS, and you can convert video files to SBS format too.
The 3D effect is reasonably good, for me anyway, and I quite like the results.)

I probably need to look at some tutorials for them as it's the first time I have tried video editing software for some years now, hopefully I'll find something.

What do Totalbiscuit and Yogcast etc.... use? I suppose it's the really expensive one's.

tris

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Obviously I'm not sure with Sony MS as I cannot get the software to use the .ts file at all.
Try the free tsMuxeR to convert the files to a new version of the .ts or .m2ts file. Or download the trial version of VideoReDo TV Suite and run the files through "Quickstream Fix."

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, that didn't work I'm afraid.

Anyway, I tried tsMuxeR and the trial of ViderReDo TV Suite.

tsMuxeR came up with a stream error, and ViderReDo I tried the Quickstream Fix to various video formats and Sony MS will still not accept them.

Also ViderReDo knocked the audio out of sync on what it did produce on all of the containers I tried. The program is fully in sync when I watch it back in it's current form though, and also keeps sync with Power Director and Magix.

Strange one this.

tris

Any other ideas/advice on these programs?

Cheers

tris

Something is obvously odd with the transport stream file. Download Medianinfo and post the tree view of the format. It might give a clue as to what the issue is. Also what's the source of the transport stream file (normally a broadcast source with SD containg mpeg2 and HD actually containing AVC/H264 content). Changing the file extension usually only works for close relations (eg changing a .ts containing mpeg2 content to .mpg (programme stream) or AVC/H264 from say .mts to .ts)

Some of the problems may be down to missing codecs on the PC.

Klite is usually recommended

Codec Guide: K-Lite Codec Pack - For XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8

AVI can contain virtually any format you can think of.

Considering the OP's name Nero2014 is worth a try as well :)

Last edited:
It does seem odd that it doesn't open in Sony MS but it opens fine in all the other editors fine.

The one I am playing with was recorded from BBC2 HD (Top Gear), I only still have it to test these programs with as I watched it the other night. I set it to start recording 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after so I have something to chop off when testing the different editing software.

I set the recorder of DVBViewer and the recording service to .mpg, but it's still giving me a .ts file.

I have already tried to rename the extension to everything I can think of, but Movie Studio just locks up and gets stuck on 'Not Responding'.

Here are the screen caps of the Mediainfo:
1.JPG

2.JPG

I have no idea what I'm looking for there.

I did think of Nero2014, but I have not liked their software for years, it used to be my favourite software for backing up files on cds. Better software (freeware) has done me good for years for doing that now.

I'm also after something a bit more advanced than what nero has to offer, hopefully with a lot of community templates, presets etc....

This problem with getting Movie Studio to open a .ts file is the only thing that is preventing me from trying out Movie Studio properly.

I also use all types of containers, which Sony MS doesn't seem to open. All my blu ray rips of my collection are ripped as .mkv's, and it doesn't open them either as they are not supported. Gaming videos are .avis which seem to be fine, tv recordings are as above (the current problem I'm trying to resolve), I'm not sure the format of my home movies, .mov or something I think.

I'm finding it hard to find an all in one solution for everything I think, so really need some advice on what I need. I don't want to go and spend any money until I'm sure it's the right one for me.

tris

I did try with a codecs pack installed, but it made no difference.

tris

Right, one of the reasons I ditched Sony Movie Studio (inabilty to import common broadcast formats and lack of 5.1 ac3 audio support for output). I will check what BBC2-HD recordings I have. Clearly recorded from satellite, surprised Videoredo had an issue and TsmuxerGUI (used both with AVC264/H264 broadcast content) though TSmuxerGUI does have a audio synch issue (Easy solution that works for me, +100 in the audio synch output settings).

I may have be able to find a suitable recording of Top Gear (though I will need to convert the audio if from Freeview-HD).

Magix works for me but seems incabable of preserving 5.1 source content from camcorder files, though capable of creating 5.1 content after import.

Yep, forgot to mention, it's from a freesat card that I have in my pc.

Regarding TSmuxer, it was an option I tried to try and 'fix' the .ts file so MS could use it, the original recording is in sync and works fine.
It's just something I have kept onto for testing with these programs to see how they cut off the excess video.

Magix is another one that doesn't support .mkv, so I'd have to convert just to use mkv files with it which my 300+ blus are ripped in. Though I imagine I can use something else cheaper or even free to join those two part movies together, though I'd want to use whatever program I am trying my best to buy to trim the change disc sections off.

It's a pretty daunting task trying to find the right one for me, there are so many options and 'should I go for this one for this, or that one for that' scenario's. I just want a good all in one package without have to convert or re convert which take's up a fair amount of time. Yet alone trying to find one that supports all popular formats/file extensions.

tris

One thing I do like about Sony MS is the user made effects and template packs you can get for free:

Also tons of tutorials for it.

There are not so many about for the other software's that are available, most people seem to be using Sony MS or Vegas much more than the others.

Are you sure about the 5.1?
5.1.JPG

The highlighted one is Movie Studio 13 Suite. Does the 'x' not indicate that it includes that feature?

I really think it should include support for .ts files natively, it's really knocked me back.

There are so many strengths and weaknesses to all the software out there, and I have trialed them all.
I think I only have a few days/week left until the trials run out, so hope to choose one by then.

tris

Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 I have just downloaded the trial for since Terfyn just mentioned it and I'd not heard of that one.
Edit: Although it renders at 40 minutes, it seems I get audio sync issues with
Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 too, where I don't with the others apart from Adobe Premiere. It also appears to degrade the video quality.

Perhaps you were not using it correctly. VS retains the original quality throughout the editing process and the video can be output in the original format. Never had audio sync problems either with retaining the original track or splitting it and retaining sync using ripple edit.

I never use the effects as shown in your videos. I'm afraid I find them rather pointless and detracting from the story. I'm sure that they have their uses.

One thing I do like about Sony MS is the user made effects and template packs you can get for free:

Also tons of tutorials for it.

There are not so many about for the other software's that are available, most people seem to be using Sony MS or Vegas much more than the others.

Are you sure about the 5.1?
View attachment 469022
The highlighted one is Movie Studio 13 Suite. Does the 'x' not indicate that it includes that feature?

I really think it should include support for .ts files natively, it's really knocked me back.

There are so many strengths and weaknesses to all the software out there, and I have trialed them all.
I think I only have a few days/week left until the trials run out, so hope to choose one by then.

tris

Not sure about Studio 13 suite but Studio 12 suite only allows 5.1 ac3 on DVD not AVCHD or Blu-ray. You need Vegas pro and DVD Architect Pro for 5.1 on HD content.

Top Gear BBC2-HD Part 1 Burma Special from Satellite

Opens no problem

Videoredo TVsuiteH264, TsmuxerGui, Magix Pro X6 (64bit) The non pro 32 bit versions also work but not installed on new laptop.

Crashes the software instantly you try and open

Corel Video Studio Pro X6
Sony Vegas Pro 12

Going to ask Sony support about the latter.

Not sure about Studio 13 suite but Studio 12 suite only allows 5.1 ac3 on DVD not AVCHD or Blu-ray. You need Vegas Pro and DVD Architect Pro for 5.1 on HD content.
Correct in MSP 12 and 13, though both of those give this option without menus
(Burning a Blu-ray Disc from the timeline, v12; in v13 only under Make Movie).
Wave64 (PCM) audio for Blu-ray Disc can use the following formats:
- 48 kHz (or 96 kHz), 16 or 24-bit, stereo or 5.1 surround (available only for 5.1 surround projects)

Can I burn a Blu-Ray disc with 5.1 Surround Sound Using the Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum software?

I agree that this .ts file incident seems too problematic.

Terfyn: I'll give it another go, just trimmed the excess off the start and end. I have tried it so far with mpeg 2, h264/AVC, AVI and Mpeg 4 with default settings. I'm just about to try using 'Use Project Settings' which I presume keeps everything 'as is'.

I'll edit this part when it's finished to say weather or not it's managed to keep the audio in sync.... What settings do you use?
edit: Erm, getting there, the audio sync is a bit on and off.

Regarding the video's there, I wouldn't use them in recordings, I'd be using them for home movies now and again but mainly for youtube videos when editing my gaming stuff and live streaming intros and outros. There is a lot I'm planning on doing with the software.

The extra software that comes with Movie Studio Suite, ACID and SoundForge will be handy for recording my voice, singing and making my own music. If only I can get this .ts file problem resolved.

vkmast: Yep, I realised that :)

GLT: It seems you can burn a bluray with 5.1 audio, but you cannot use menus etc.... it needs to be directly from the timeline. Which I see presents a problem when you want to create a bluray with 5.1 form a hd camera. Having to buy pro just for that option is ridiculous.

Regarding satellite recordings (.ts files), I have tried a few now. Keeping with the Burma Special it opens fine in (the one's I have tried so far):

Videoredo TVsuiteH264, TsmuxerGui, Magix Movie Edit Pro 2014 (64bit), Adobe Premier Elements, Cyberlink Power Director 12 (64bit) and Corel Video Studio Pro X7.

Crashes the software instantly you try and open (copy and paste, lazy bugger ain't I :p):

Sony Movie Studio 13.
Seems this problem persists in multiple versions including Pro:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=movie studio 13 .ts files

vkmast: That's the Q&A I found regarding the 5.1 audio for blu rays etc....

Indeed, .ts is a file that it should really support as it's widely used in pc's used as a PVR. All of their competition seems to open them fine, so why have Sony neglected to support it is beyond me.

tris

Last edited:
GLT: It seems you can burn a bluray with 5.1 audio, but you cannot use menus etc.... it needs to be directly from the timeline. Which I see presents a problem when you want to create a bluray with 5.1 form a hd camera. Having to buy pro just for that option is ridiculous.

tris

A nice and impressive unique menu is the sign of a professional job. DVD Architect Pro and Encore allow the creation of really nice menus from scratch using Photoshop. I already had Vegas Pro 8 so after upgrading to 64 bit the upgrade to version 12 wasn't too hard on the bank balance. I will let you all know what Sony say about the software crash. At the very least it should let you know nicely if it's not a supported format (though clearly it should be).

That will be good to know what they say exactly regarding the .ts format.

I have done a recording on an sd channel which it records in .mpg which opens fine, but the hd channels wont record in .mpg only .ts which is a shame.

I have set a timer to record the same program on the sd and the hd channel to test if any audio go's out of sync when I chop the start and end excess off and produce it. At least that way I'll know if Sony MS gos out of sync with the recordings or not.

I'll mainly be using the software for gaming video's I expect, maybe try some stop motion as I have been playing about with that and it seems pretty good for sequenced photos. I use photoshop elements 11 that I got from pc world I think it was about 1-2 years ago, so I can edit them there.

It does say on the website about the supported formats:
supported formats.JPG

.ts isn't mentioned at all same case with .mkv's, .flv, and a fair few others too. For one of the leading editing software's, it's pretty weak in that aspect compared to, for example, power director:
supported formats power director.JPG

Maybe version 14 might be a bit more compatible with other formats, though it will probably be quite a wait till that is about now.

tris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom