Video editing software recommendations

Terfyn

I'll give it another go, just trimmed the excess off the start and end. I have tried it so far with mpeg 2, h264/AVC, AVI and Mpeg 4 with default settings. I'm just about to try using 'Use Project Settings' which I presume keeps everything 'as is'.
First like some other editors VS X7 uses a text file to alter the video files at the render stage so either you can use "Same as Project Settings" or "Same as First Video Clip" in the Share section. Or under Settings in the Edit section, open Project Properties and set the exact properties you want.
I am using 1920x1080/50p for camera recording. If the VS settings are, for example, 50i, I immediately get "artifacts" in the picture. Correcting this and recording to an AVCHD disk or SD card I get a picture as good as the original camera picture viewed via HDMI on my TV.
I will have a look at the Corel forum about desync sound, but any problem like this has a crude "sort" by "Split Audio" and alligning the audio track to the video manually.
You may want to look at
Corel User to User Web Board • View topic - Video-Audio out of sync
Does the audio go out of sync on the rendered copy? There is some suggestion that it may be only happening when the video is reviewed in the Preview Window.

Last edited:

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Terfyn:
Yes, it's the rendered copy that the audio is out of sync on, it's fine in the video preview, but in the rendered output it's out of sync.

All of the other software that open it, apart from adobe, render it in sync.

vkmast:
Vegas Pro seems to handle a heck of a lot more formats:
vegas pro.JPG

Yet it still doesn't mention .ts files and there are still many posts with problems people are having with them, though.

For a big name suite, I would have thought it should cover all sorts of projects, not just focus on camera and camcorders.

I got to have a bit more of a play with it last night, it seems that the DVBViewer software records SD as .mpg when it's set to .mpg, but HD stuff still saves as .ts.

Of course, as we know, sony's software wont open the .ts file, but it did the .mpg with ease and produced a good video with audio in sync.... though choosing the output was very confusing:

This wasn't enough and produced a very low quality video:
basic.JPG

....and hitting 'Advanced' almost gave me a heart attack (Yes I'm one of those that don't read manuals):
wtf.JPG

I find Power Director the most featured, but I'd miss those presets and plugins made by the community for Movie Studio. Then again, .ts files are fine in Power Director too.
(Yes, I type as I think, but seems to be the best way for me to understand myself.... ish.)

Of course the Power Director and the other's have a load of more import and output options than Moviestudio too. So many ups and downs on each and every piece of software. Though it feels 'clunky, or slow to respond' dragging the video about

Go on, what do you lot use, have used and prefer?
Or do you have a mixture of the software's available for different projects?

tris

Last edited:

vkmast

vkmast:
For a big name suite, I would have thought it should cover all sorts of projects, not just focus on camera and camcorders.
---
though choosing the output was very confusing --- ...and hitting 'Advanced' almost gave me a heart attack (Yes I'm one of those that don't read manuals)
MSP 13 asks if you want to match your project video settings to match the first video media you add to the timeline, which I guess you did anyway. When you go to Render as / Advanced, pull down the Filter On menu and Match project settings there. After that the options may not be quite so confusing. You can also customize the template.
Doesn't matter anyway as MSP does not support all the formats you need though. Can't obviously say what SCS will or won't do, only commenting on what's available and what I've used.
Do hope someone will be able to help you find the perfect weapon ;)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Yep that's right. Quite handy having it match the settings for you :)

I'm trying to work around some things a bit.

Most of the stuff I tend to record is in .mpg, there are a few things I record in HD.... I only have about 4 channels in HD anyway and .mpg opens fine.
I'm trying out a couple of converter's that I could buy if they convert fine to a file that SMS will accept.

I also have another program that can convert video into SBS 3D, so could continue to use that for that.

The rest of the stuff I plan to do should mainly be .avi or .mpg. (gaming videos etc.... I could use a converter to convert after if and when needed.

I may bump into a slight snag with 3D titles/text with SMS, I'm reading up on that at the moment.

I keep being drawn back to SMS for some reason, it seems so stable and very quick compared to some other's.
Thought I was onto a winner with Cyberlink, but the software is so sluggish.

I'm not ruling anything else out, but these seem to be the programs that seem highest on the list.

I'm sure if anyone has any more advice and ideas they'll post, always appreciate it :)

tris

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I have tried converting your .ts to practical any container known to man without recoding the AVC/H264 video content. Not found any way of opening it in Vegas Pro 12. Sony aren't being particulary helpfull either.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I have been to and used more or less every free and trials of paid converter I can find. My desktop is a mess:
mess.JPG

but I finally got it!!!!

Managed to convert (3 minutes due to it being a trial version) of the .ts file to .mp4 using Magix Movie Edit Pro with audio in good sync and it opened in SMS and worked fine.

Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate was the only converter that I could get to convert it with audio in sync.... just. It has an option to convert it to an .mpg that SMS will open too.
Just go's to show that it is well known if a video converter has an option dedicated to being able to convert to a format that SMS can understand.

Magix is currently £99.99 for the premium edition with the NewBlue ColorFast and proDAD Heroglyph V4 Pro from their site direct:
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium - Overview
However, it's currently only £53.62 for the download version:
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2014 Premium [Download]: Amazon.co.uk: Software

Or just £52.49 for the boxed version:
Magix Movie Edit Pro 2014 Premium (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Whilst, as we know, it's £85.95 for Movie Studio suite:
Movie Studio 13 Suite Tech Specs
which includes:
Movie Studio 13 Platinum with NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects / BorisFX Units and FXHOME HitFilm Effects
ACID™ Music Studio
Sound Forge™ Audio Studio
and of course DVD Architect 10

£138.44 for the two packs.

I wonder if the NewBlue and effects stuff for both programs are part of the installation or if they are separate installs that I can use in both programs?
As that would be well worth it for the effects in both since those packs are expensive on their own.

I'd also make good use of ACID and Sound Forge. I have used something like ACID in the past for making music and Sound Forge would be good for my vocals/singing etc....

They are the movie editors on the top of my list, and between them and the software I already have I can pretty much do everything I want, though it is £38 over my budget, but I got enough to cover it with my birthday money.

I'm thinking it's a good thing to have the two, as what I can't do in one, I could do in the other and chop and change between them as I desire.

I do like the look of the feature for motion stop in corel, but I don't have a DSLR and it looks like I can do something along those lines in SMS.

What do you think, go for the two and make the best of both worlds with a load of extras between the two?

Cheers for all the help so far :smashin:

tris

12harry

Distinguished Member
Unless you already use v13 Movie Studio AND plan to use the Touch-Screen feature, then there's little to be gained IMHO over v12, discounted about £35 "production suite".....
Also, I don't thing Acid is going to make a music-track like many movies . . . . and there is plenty of good Music free on the Internet. However, I've only witnessed (an early version ) being used.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Unless you already use v13 Movie Studio AND plan to use the Touch-Screen feature, then there's little to be gained IMHO over v12, discounted about £35 "production suite".....
Also, I don't thing Acid is going to make a music-track like many movies . . . . and there is plenty of good Music free on the Internet. However, I've only witnessed (an early version ) being used.

I don't have version 12, or any video editors for that matter, hence asking for advice on buying them :)

There's plenty of royalty free loops and samples to play with with a music maker/editor along with those that come with it. The version of it I used years ago was less capable of stuff than that one, and it'll suit me :)

tris

MarkE19

vkmast

I wonder if the NewBlue and effects stuff for both programs are part of the installation or if they are separate installs that I can use in both programs? As that would be well worth it for the effects in both since those packs are expensive on their own.

...What do you think, go for the two and make the best of both worlds with a load of extras between the two?
Re Sony MSS 13, Boris Continuum Units and NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects have their own installers which integrate them into the MSP 13. FXHome HitFilm Effects are in the main MSP 13 installer. At the moment FXHome has some extra FX available free for MSS 13.
This NewBlueFX Titler add-on had some initial installations problems with v 13. They may or may not have been solved, but i cannot install it and test due to its incompatibility with NBTitlerPro 1.0 (which I have with Vegas Pro 12). Also, it does not have the ability to keyframe (animate) like TitlerPro.

I don't know Magix, but those add-ons seem excellent value along with the extra formats there.

Some of us MSP/MSPS 12 users who upgraded to MSS 13 feel that the included Boris Units are worth the upgrade price alone.

Since you ask, I'd say go for it, especially with many gems in the load of extras. It seems you have use for them :)

Just saw MarkE19's post. Indeed, you probably would not go wrong with the previous version of either (Magix or MStudio Suite 12) at the moment and you could use the upcoming special upgrade offers later, if you feel the need. Do read carefully the product details though.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013 Premium is only £24.99 from Amazon if you want to save some money by getting an older version - but check that it does what you want before purchasing
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2013 Premium (Anniversary Offer) incl. Photo Manager MX Deluxe: Amazon.co.uk: Software

Mark.

Thanks Mark :)

I have used a trial of the previous version, and prefer the look and feel of the 2014 version over the 2013 version. There are more templates, looks cleaner and more accessible, has proxy editing, a couple of good fx packs and it makes more efficient use of multi-core processors, which is good for me as I have an AMD 8350 8core.

Also, I've spent the past 11 days trying and testing all these editing programs (and quite a few more, I've just kept the most promising and working trials on my system at this time), conversions, and just managed find which of the lot I can use to benefit another and just found a combination that seems work with a few added bonus's between them.

So do you think I should go for the two, Magix Movie Edit Pro 2014 and Sony Movie Studio 13 suite to make the best of both worlds with a load of extras between the two?

As they seem to be the one's I can get to work together the best, and both come with extra features, content packs and user created templates, presets etc.... Along with the extra programs on from the Sony suite as an added bonus.

tris

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Well, bought:
Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 (64-bit)
and
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2014 Premium
All downloaded and installed, thanks very much for the help here guy's :)

I can't find the effects packs in any of the two software's, looked in my account pages on the site too, any idea's how I get them?

tris

vkmast

Re Sony, read your order confirmation e-mail from SCS. It should have the links to download all that's included in your purchase. All your codes for the software are also in the e-mail.
I see you bought the MS Platinum 13, not the MS Suite. It has a lot less add-ons than the Suite version. I gathered you saw the comparison table as you quoted from it in your post #17?

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I already figured out that you could output from Magix Pro V6 in MP4 and open it in Vegas Pro 12. There's still a problem if you want to use DVD Architect pro for 5.1 HD content. I already had DVDA Pro 6 and Vegas Pro 8. Opening a rendered project so created from Vegas 8 in DVDA 6 results in no audio. Apparently you have to render fundamental streams and use the Sony Pro AC3 codec, which isn't included free in Vegas Pro 8. However it is in Vegas Pro 12. Creating a mp4 project in Magix works in Vegas 12, outputting the video as mp4, and a seperate audio file using the pro codec and opening these in DVDA, deleting the MP4 audio track and using the pro ac3 track finally works in DVDA. Basically the Sony software, even the top package has very poor support for video and audio generated elsewhere.

Incidentally the plugins you get are software specific.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
vkmast: Bah, copy and paste error :facepalm:, it's the suite mate, not just platinum. In the email I have:

Movie Studio 13 Suite (Download) Serial Number xxxx
Downloaded and installed - Registered with my serial.

DVD Architect Studio 5 (Download) Serial Number xxxx

Music Studio 10 (Download) Serial Number xxxx

Audio Studio 10 (Download) Serial Number xxxx

Vocal Eraser plug-in
Serial Number xxxx
Downloaded and installed - Haven't put in the serial number as although installed I can't find it anywhere.

Izotope Audio Enhancer Plug-In Serial Number xxxx
Downloaded and installed - Haven't put in the serial number as although installed I can't find it anywhere.

Sound Series Loop Library
Your Loop Library download code is xxxx
Your copy of ACID Music Studio includes a free Sony Sound Series Loop Library from a wide selection of titles. To redeem your loop library, go to **** and enter the download code above
- Chosen a loop sample set and downloaded.

One-year Indaba Music Pro membership
Promotional code xxxx
No idea what this is, even after visiting the website :rolleyes:

Also downloaded from the sony website under my 'DLC':
01_loops_and_songs
02_soundsets_and_songs
50_production_music_tracks
ACIDMusicStudio10Content
audiostudio10_tutorials - Which I presume are part of the Tutorial DVD
MovieStudio13PlatinumTutorials - Which I presume are part of the Tutorial DVD
1001soundeffects

I can see the FXhome Hitfilm one's are already within the software, but I cannot see the:
NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects
BorisFX video effects units.

As for Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium....
All I had was a download and code for the software, which I registered on the Magix site, and there was a download for the software there, but there wasn't any downloads for.
proDad 4 Heroglyph Pro
and
NewBlue Colorfast.

I also cannot see any of them within the software.... I don't think at least, I think they are usually named.

tris

vkmast

nero,
Vocal eraser and Izotope are in Sound Forge Audio Studio:
"Sound Forge™ Audio Studio software is the easiest way to record, edit, process, render, and share audio. Key features include high-resolution 24-bit, 192 kHz support, vinyl recording and restoration tools, Vocal Eraser plug-in technology, the exclusive Audio Enhancer plug-in by iZotope®".
Indaba: "ACID Music Studio gives you the flexibility to record from virtually any source to produce amazing results. Burn music CDs, save songs for uploading to your favorite Web sites including SoundCloud and Indaba Music".

From NewBlueFX site
"Here is the bundled installer for Movie Studio 13:
http://www.newbluefx.com/downloads/Sony/NewBlueSonyVegasMSPPS13Setup14-140117.exe
After installing, you will see some new effects on the VideoFX tab, new transitions on the Transitions tab, and TitlerEx on the Generated Media tab."
If you installed a file with an earlier date, uninstall and try this.

A couple of threads to help with BorisFX maybe below.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=12&MessageID=882438
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Movie Studio Messages
They should turn up in VideoFX (BCC ***s).

And re FXHome/HitFilm, take advantage of this
https://hitfilm.com/sony-movie-studio-13

Hope some of this may help.

Last edited:

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Ok thanks, got NewBlueSonyVegasMSPPS13Setup14-140117 downloaded, installed and it all appears in the program fine.

On that forum, they are talking about having a download for the BorisFX stuff that comes with the suite, I didn't get a download for it, so I've no idea where to get it. Wasn't anything in the email on where to download that or the newblue stuff, so I'd not have managed to download that if you didnt let me know where it was.

Would have thought sony would have linked all the downloads for the extras.

tris

edit: Note, it is the 64bit I downloaded, I just can't find where I'm meant to download the BorisFX stuff that came with the suite.

Last edited:

vkmast

Would have thought sony would have linked all the downloads for the extras.

---edit: Note, it is the 64bit I downloaded, I just can't find where I'm meant to download the BorisFX stuff that came with the suite.
nero,
I do have them here to click and download the files. Pls check again?
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50473571/MSS13DLs.JPG
Just to be on the safe side, NewBlueTitler&FX should be the one that's downloadable from the link in post #42. The initial installer file seems to have been problematic.

Last edited:

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I have the NewBluFX and Titler installed fine with the link you provided above.

I have just checked again and they are definitely missing from my download page:
missing.JPG

So I guess they have gone wrong somewhere, it was the suite I bought, £103.odd inc vat.

tris

edit: Ahh Hold on.... I found them.

They were not on my SMS account when I logged into that, but they were on the link that sends me there from my email. Now that's confusing.

edit 2: .... I'm a plank.

Last edited:

vkmast

The SCS order confirmation e-mail is quite clear.
"You can download your product or check the status of your order at (url)"

I tried to make this clear in my post #39 as well.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Yep, sorry mate, reading things and trying to take too much in too fast, it's my bad.

I really appreciate all the help, wouldn't have gotten this far without it :)

tris

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Extra programes in Magix. Open the software. Help - Install Extra Programmes

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Extra programes in Magix. Open the software. Help - Install Extra Programmes

Done that and it saw them and activated them but couldn't find them to install.

That was the download off of the Amazon website, nothing in the email, so I'm grabbing the one from the Magix site it's self and trying that one instead.
Edit: Nope same thing, googling.
Edit 2: Found it.
Source - How do I install plugins in Movie Edit Pro? | The MAGIX Magazine
Still under 'Help' - 'Free Download' and you see this:
free download premium.JPG

So do that first, then I presume they are all present to install into the program. (Currently downloading)

--------

There is also a free plugin basic pack here:
Download-Bereich

Which includes:
Logoaway
Removes fixed picture content using interpolation (for example, TV station logos). Position, size, and much more can be set according to your wishes. Presets for removing station logos can be found in the video plug-in manager.

Halftone
Creates a grid picture from two freely selectable colors, which can be visualized via varyingly large points.

2D Clean
Can be used as a true-to-detail dehissing feature or as a softener.

Dynamic noise reduction

Removes picture graininess without creating image blur

Smooth

Can be used to smoothen or blur while maintaining the existing structure.

Deinterlace area based

Removes distorted line interweavement at visible parts. Here, each picture is separated individually.

DeinterlaceMAP
The plug-in, which is based around movement and pixel analysis, recognizes and removes line interweavement.

Temporal Cleaner
Removes picture hissing without affecting the picture process.

Pixellate
This effect distorts your recordings by varying the size of the pixels' display.

Hue cycle
This plug-in enables a rainbow effect that displays your recordings over a certain period of time in various colors.

Liquid
This plug-in fluidly and colorfully displays your picture dependent on the light source.

Cartoon Tool
The FlaXen Cartoon Tool darkens borders and separates objects from one another.

VHS
Multi-filter plug-in: Color stabilization, chroma-shifting, dehissing, and sharpen.

tris

Last edited:

12harry

Distinguished Member
I read that Computer Shopper is praising SMS v13, but it will be interesting to all here if nero0410 can tell us how things work out. The only snag I can see is that getting used to one program is bad enough ( er, IMHO), then learning two ....

Good Luck.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021