Video editing software-advice pls!

I

ihavenoname

Hello,

I am looking for a video editing software that will allow me to drop in an existing video file (mpeg, avi etc) and show me a string of "storyboard" type thumbnail previews of frames on the movie file taken at regular time intervals (eg. every 5min or whatever) for the entire duration of the movie file. It must also let me then cut/paste all the bits together.

I need a quick way to "see what is on" each movie file as I am converting all my VHS tapes to digital (approx 3 to 4 hrs each file) so I can then just cut out the crud and keep the rest.

Anyone know of any software out there that lets you do just that?

TIA

B

Brian110507

Not quite sure why you only need a 'snap-shot' every five minutes - virtually every video editing programme will let you see all the video 'frame by frame' if necessary - then you just run through to cut out pieces you don't want kept in.

They will also all allow you to drop in extra bits - re-arrange all the bits you want to keep - add titles - music - narration - and then export the whole thing as a single file - or burn the finished masterpiece to DVD.

My personal favourite is Ulead VideoStudio - you can get more details and download a free one months trial from here :-

http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/runme.htm

BJC

I

ihavenoname

I think you may have misunderstood my need and the feature I am after.

If you gave me a 4hr video file and asked me to edit out everything except the soccer highlights, I could of course sit and watch the whole thing, even frame by frame as you suggested looking for soccer highlights. But I don't want to spend +4hrs doing that. I could also even use the sliders to jump to differnet spots in the video file to see what is on it hoping that something comes up. But that is bit too hit and miss and I still will have to remember what it was that I saw and where I saw it (time wise) to navigate back and do all the editing.

Now if I could view on a timeline a string of frame thumbnail snapshots from the video file spaced "n" minutes apart, then I could quickly scan through those snapshot thumbnails and get a good overall idea of what is on the video and where it all is. Kind of like ripping every 10th page out of a 300page photo storybook and laying each page in a row next to each other so you can just get an idea for what the story is all about by glancing at the entire sequence.

If I know the soccer highlights are at least 5min in duration and I have set my frame interval at 4min, then I am sure that at least one frame will appear in the sequence of thumbnails that will be of soccer. I coudl also safely delete/ignore huge chunks of the video becasue all the rest of the frames might be of a B&W movie that was taped and of no interest.

Hope this explains it better. :rolleyes:

jomike

In just about all video editing programs you can scroll through the video at any speed you want, forwards and backwards to find the exact spot you are looking for quickly. You do not have to play the video, the video will display in the preview window as you scroll so you can see exactly what part of the video you are at. You can also mark the video when you find the part you are looking for, so you can come back to it later.
Why don't you try downloading a free trial of one of the leading editors and see for yourself. In addition to Ulead VideoStudio, there are Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Pinnacle Studio. These will all do what you want. All offer 30 day trials so you can see which one you prefer before you buy.

Regards, Mike

I

ihavenoname

OK thanks. I have downloaded and trired Ulead VideoStudio but I can't get it to do exactly what I was asking for. Sure I can scroll forwards and backwards and view the preview display, but I am still only looking at one preview image at any one time. There is a "storyboard" panel that displays thumbnails at the bottom of the screen but it only shows one frame (the first one) at any one time.

Can I get it to display thumbnail frame snapshots of the one video file that are "n" minutes apart all at once rather than just one image at a time? Kind of like when you have a directory full of JPG images and you view set the Explorer folder view options to "Thumbnails". I notice that if I insert multiple separate video files into the storyboard timeline panel below, then it appears to be doing what I am asking, but it is just showing the first frame of each video file.

TIA

senu

Distinguished Member
Pinnacle Studio Can be configured to "make" clips from a captured file based on time, pressing space bar, or scene changes
If you capture say a 1 hr footage and specify capture as clips based on say every 10 min it gives you 6 clips each starting 10 min apart with a thumbnail representing the start of each ( subclip) it also allows you not the start / finish of each based on timecode
For what you want it may be difficult to avoid using timecode. pen and paper.
Sony Vegas Movie Studio can also be configured as such.
If done properly MiniDV tape , should allow you get accurate timecode to "know" where your footage is.
I dont think there is a very simple way to actually avoid watching all the footage at least once
Avid Liquid 7 ( formerly Liquid Edition™) has a preview function which allows one to "mark footage for capturing then do a batch capture of only the required footage but one will still needs to "watch" the tapes in order to set the mark and mark out points. This is a feature most mid range software have in variuos guises.
It is called logging (the footage) then batch digitising later
Ulead Video studio 10 also has an enhanced DV quick scan feature worth checking to see if it will help achieve what you want

Im not so much as reccomending any one solution just perhaps showing you ( the little i know) is available out there which can do what you want. But there is no getting away from going thru the tapes and finding a way of "indexing" what you want to use.

T

turner2

Hi!

The easiest and best we found is DVDsanta will convert a click of button and ask you if you wish to burn now or later.
free download from download.com,any problems come back:thumbsup:

melliott1963

Novice Member
turner2 said:
Hi!

The easiest and best we found is DVDsanta will convert a click of button and ask you if you wish to burn now or later.
free download from download.com,any problems come back:thumbsup:

Hmmmm . . . New User, recommending a $30 piece of software I've personally never heard of before, saying it's the easiest and best.

At $30, me thinks that there will be loads of 'better' programs available. Looks like a blatant bit of advertising from someone connected with the program, especially as it has no bearing on what the original poster was asking about.

If, by any chance I'm wrong with this assumption, then sorry. However, it might be a good idea to read the question before posting a spurious answer.

senu

Distinguished Member
melliott1963 said:
Hmmmm . . . New User, recommending a $30 piece of software I've personally never heard of before, saying it's the easiest and best.

At $30, me thinks that there will be loads of 'better' programs available. Looks like a blatant bit of advertising from someone connected with the program, especially as it has no bearing on what the original poster was asking about.

If, by any chance I'm wrong with this assumption, then sorry. However, it might be a good idea to read the question before posting a spurious answer.

Im not sure of his motives, might be altruistic,:rolleyes: however there is a free download of the program which watermarks output

I have toyed with it in the recent past having been given it to "play" with but only used it a few times: I just revisited it today afte the post to see if I had missed something earlier
To be sure it does what it says on the box but for the money it definitely doesnt touch Ulead MovieFactory™ 4 or 5.

More to the point it , may be great for simple ..straight to DVD actions but most certainly not what the OP wanted.

PS..dont work for Ulead:rotfl:

IAmATeaf

You can in some software turn on scene detect so that all scene changes are noted, I use trialware version of CyberSofts PowerProducer to do this to my clips before editing the actual footage in Adobe Premiere, allows me to pin point footage where the camera has wandered etc...

Also during the transfer stage I think WinDV (freeware) allows for scene detection so that it will chop the transfer at each scene change but you then end up with loads of fragments that you need to re-assemble in your preferred editing tool.

melliott1963

Novice Member
In Sony Vegas I can adjust the size of my timeline simply by dragging it back and forth, therefore, this would do what TIA needs. I presume that other 'lower end' products might be able to do a similar thing.

senu

Distinguished Member
melliott1963 said:
In Sony Vegas I can adjust the size of my timeline simply by dragging it back and forth, therefore, this would do what TIA needs. I presume that other 'lower end' products might be able to do a similar thing.
Most can , certainly Sony Vegas Movie Studio™ ( is that lower end??;) ) and all the other favourites in that category

I think what the OP wants is a system which will allow him identify parts of his footage based on thumbnail representation in much the same way as a Photo browser will help in finding pics in a large collection of digital images so that for editing he will be able to go for what he wishes and avoid "wading thru " unwanted footage.

It is an aspiration many software designers have tried to achieve by varoius means , but it may well be in its ideal implementation, a bit of an utopian one as there may be no real substitute for the modern day PC equivalent of the "cutting room" for video editng.

Edit decision lists are a bit old hat ( pre big hard drives) but automated methods for knowing which clip contains which footage are still best achieved manually.:boring:

O

oedipus

AFAIK Avid Free DV has the film frame feature which sounds like what you're after - it's a strip of thumbnails above the main video timeline that give you a quick visual on what's where. DON'T rely on it for accurate cutting because they are obviously approxiamate pics but this does sound like what you want.

As mentioned a couple of post ago....Just use the scene detection function available in most mainstream editing software and you probably won't even need to cut anything out as it would have done it for you.....But at least you can then get a thumbnail overview for each of the clips the scene detection has divided it in....

Alternatively most programmes will also show you thumbnails at intervals (depending on your zoom level) once you place the file on the editing timeline....But basing cuts on those would be very rough....

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom