Video editing problem

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by springgranddad4, Aug 26, 2013.

1. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all. Windows 7. 32 bit. I have Cyberlink Powerdirector 8. If I introduce a video clip to the capture window, it will play perfectly in the preview window. But if I drag the clip to the video track to edit it, it won't play. Unless I left click the top bar and wriggle it about! Then it plays very jerkily and sometimes stops. I thought it must be the program so I reinstalled it. But no better. I also have Magix Movie Edit Pro15 and a similar thing happens. I am lost. Can anybody help?

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Check you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

3. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Graham. Thanks for your response. According to device manager the driver is up to date.

4. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi springgrandad4, is the preview window a small window? Just wondering if that is the case whether the graphics card is up to the job?

5. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. Well this graphics card is 2 or 3 years old and I have produced dozens of movies from video clips with no trouble at all. The problem was apparent when I got back from my holidays last week. Can't see a reason for it. The card is NVidia GeForce 7300 LE. As I say, device manager say's the drivers is up to date, but I'm unsure how to check this elsewhere because I keep getting an invitation to invest in 'Driver manager, Wizard, Scanner, Tuner, Detective, etc etc! I don't want to invest as much in a program I don't want as it would cost to buy a new card!

6. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hello springgrandad, the problem happened on your return from holidays? There were the monthly Microsoft updates on the 13th, have they been downloaded on your system yet, I guess that they have, if so there may have been a configuration issue there. Could try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver.

7. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couple of points. I cannot find a system restore date between 24/8/2013 and 27/6/2011. Yes 11! Also, I'm unsure what will happen if I uninstall the graphics driver (in device manager). How then do I re-install it?

8. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi springgrandad4, the link below will give you your Nvidia graphics driver for your card. Uninstall the driver through the control panel and select 'programs and features', you will see your graphics driver there. When you uninstall it you will be prompted to restart your computer, having done so the graphics will appear large, this because no driver is installed, just install the one from the link below (download it first before uninstalling other and place on desktop).
    Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

9. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. Well, I've done all that - which included an instruction to install/update Java. Whatever that is. Everything is back to normal except it has made no difference to the original problem. Strange eh?

10. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Well it all seems very odd, as you say it was okay prior to your holiday, but since your return it does not function correctly. As mentioned the only thing that has occurred is the monthly updates from Microsoft, I would have suggested rolling back the system restore to prior the updates, but as you say there is a 2 month gap between restore points. Could still roll back to the earlier restore point and see if that fixes the issue. If the problem is resolved, then you could install the updates a bit at a time, what do you think?

11. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. No, there is a two YEAR gap between the restore points. I've no idea why, but it leaves me without a viable restore point. Cyberlink won't even show a picture, let alone play a video, in the video track. I'm a bit unsure about removing the updates . I'm a bit out of my depth here. An oddity I don't understand is that in programs and features the number of the driver shown to have been installed is 307.83, whereas the number of the one on my desk top, which I reinstalled from, is 320.49.

12. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi springgrandad I have made a stupid mistake, I have given you the download for the 64bit driver (307.83) whereas the driver you need is 320.49 (32bit). Could you download the correct driver from the link below but remove the other in the manner that I gave you in the previous message, sorry about that:blush: You also need to look at your system restore settings to make sure that restores points are created automatically.

http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/results/63457

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. I've got it sorted out!!! What I did was open msconfig, select services, tick 'hide all Microsoft services', disable all the rest (some won't of course), click apply, and restart. Go through the whole rigmarole again only clicking 'enable' all the rest. And my problem was somehow solved. So I did it all again enabling them one at a time to identify the culprit without a lot of success. The nearest I can get is 'firebird service - Magix instance' whatever that is. I'm still suspicious of a system fault but would take a cleverer man than me to work it out! Many thanks to all who have helped.

14. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Glad that you have got there in the end and it is running now. I would however make sure that system restore creates a new point after each update, that is your safety net in case of configuration errors.

15. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that Sparky. It might seem like a simple point, but how do I make sure system restore creates a new point after each update?

16. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The updates are monthly (Tuesdays usually after 2100hrs), go to updates and select check for updates, you should see X amount of updates found and then select install updates, during this process you should see the script 'creating a restore point' that should be it. The next updates are due in 2 weeks time, see how it goes. If you do not get a restore point see the article below for help.

How to Enable and Disable System Restore

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello again Sparky. I'm beginning to lose the will to live! Having sorted it out (I thought), and completed my movie, I now cannot use the 'create disc' option because I get, at 41% of authoring, a 'muxer' problem. This appears to be a multiplexing thing, whatever that is. So I tried producing the movie to a folder, then using Windows DVD Maker, but it stops DVD Maker from working. So I tried to burn the file to a disc using Windows Explorer. It produced a disc but wouldn't play on my DVD player (disc error). I'm back to having no movie.

18. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hello, that`s a pity, I wonder if when you shut down the services in configsys, you may have shut down some of the crucial ones. Going back to the beginning I firmly believe that at the last set of updates for whatever reasons the updates have not configured correctly and you may have some corrupt registry files, which is the cause of your issues. It is a pity that the system restore has a 2 year gap otherwise it would have been a simple matter of going back in time to fix it. You could try downloading a trial version of the latest Cyberlink software and see if it installs and configures correctly, if it does then you will almost certainly know if your existing Cyberlink program has become corrupted. If this is the case then you can download a registry cleaner to hopefully correct the errors. The first link below is for the Cyberlink software and the second is for the registry cleaner should you need to use it.

Free Trial Multimedia Software | Cyberlink

CCleaner - Download

19. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. I downloaded PDR11. When I tried my old file (different icon) PDR11 stopped working before even trying to create the disc. So I run CC cleaner, and now PDR11 starts to create the disc, but doesn't complete the job. I was offered the opportunity to explain the problem to Cyberlink, which I did, and now we wait!

20. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hi springgrand4, hmm almost fixed it then! Good idea to talk to Cyberlink, hope that they can fix it for you. Failing all that I think that it may be a clean install of Windows.

21. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hi springgrandad4, any news from Cyberlink yet?

22. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. Sorry, been away. Nothing from Cyberlink and I'm not optimistic. The PD11 trial version creates a movie from a different set of video clips but not from the movie produced from PD8. I'll get back to this shortly.

23. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hi springgranddad4, Looking at their support site I could not see any mentions relating to the issues that you have had. I believe that the original PD8 files were corrupted and it could be down to a good old fashioned clean install to sort things out.

24. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sparky. I've tried that 3 times now! Oddly enough, it was only the third time I was asked for the key code. Anyway, I couldn't burn either the original movie or a completely new one. I finished with (with the new one), a notice 'Burning unsuccessful. Authoring manager could not do file access for temporary files'. I use Revo uninstaller, and the last time performed a deep scan. I have finally lost the will to live!!!

25. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Hi springgranddad4, no, what I meant was a clean install of Windows and start afresh, I know that it is a time consuming thing to have to do, but if you consider how long you have tried to resolve this problem, then a clean install would be well worth while. It will also give your system a new lease of life and things will run smoother and quicker.

26. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh of course. You're probably right. I'll consider the matter!

27. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What I really mean is - I've never done that before and I'm wary of it!

28. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

Okay, I am guessing that you have an Windows installation disk ? If so the easy way to do it is to do the following:
    1. Go to control panel.
    2. Select Recovery.
    3. Select advanced recovery methods.
    4. Select reinstall Windows (requires Windows installation disk). Install disk when prompted.

That`s it. but save any files that you require before you do this otherwise all will be lost. This method also means that all your programs will have to be reinstalled, but your Windows configurations will be clean and everything should again run smoothly.