1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video editing - Pinacle Studio 9.4

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by videoman, Jul 5, 2005.

1. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any experience of finding a more reliable programme for computer editing than Studio 9 please?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At a similar price Ulead VideoStudio 9 is a good alternative - or did you want to spend more money ??

You might find This Website interesting

3. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cost will not be a major issue if I can put it onto my current expensive machine bought setup with & for Pinacle.

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In the past year or so, I've dumped Pinnacle Studio. I looked at a variety of alternatives.

At the lower end of the market, ULead Video Studio is quite popular, although I personally prefered Sony's Vegas Movie Studio (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=531)

At the higher end, Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas are, I would suggest, the two main programs people use. Again, my preference (and indeed the program I ended up buying) was Sony's Vegas (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=585), purely because not only is it very powerful, but it is also very easy to use.

The links I've given are for trial versions you can download.

Hope this helps.

5. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, I will look at these suggestions. Any body else dumped Studio?

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I should also have added that all the programs I mentioned seemed very stable, especially when compared with Pinnacle.

7. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using winXP then I think that Premiere Elements is tremendous value, I also use Pro 1.5 and with the exception of the engineering functions (vectorscope, waveform) there is hardly anything to seperate them.
    DVD burning is included, either autoplay, or a fairly decent choice of templates

8. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stability & lack of "The Progamme is Not responding" is what I am looking for together with ease of use.

9. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have to say that in all the time I've used Sony Vegas, I've not experienced a single problem. If you can afford Vegas over Vegas Movie Studio, I'd suggest it, because Movie Studio, whilst also appearing stable, is fairly 'sluggish' in performance compared with Vegas, which just flies on my PC (only a 2.6Ghz processor)

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm another who ditched Pinnacle and now use Ulead Video Studio 9.0 (used 8.0 in the past) with no problems, highly recommended.

Is the lastet version of Pinnacle Studo still unstable?

I'm surprised that they haven't sorted it out by now.

11. videoman

videoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevo
    At every update with Studio different problems emerge. After the latest I have had to uninstall, reload version 9 from disc then add the latest patch on again & now it keeps going into a loop with the hard disc churning away all the time. "Programme not responding" when I try to close it, very very frustrating because I find it very easy to use and it does everything I want to do, when it's a MIND TO.

12. sput2001

sput2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I ditched Pinnacle Studio 8 some time ago as it was just too buggy and unreliable - a project I spent several weeks working on had to be abandoned as the program kept crashing during rendering. I'm never using it again and will happily advise others not to do so too.

Since then I've used Ulead VideoStudio (versions 7 and 8) without any problems. Adobe Premiere Elements is probably worth a look too.

You can download time-restricted (1 month, I think) trial versions of both Ulead VideoStudio 9 and Adobe Premiere Elements at their websites.

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  14. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was very faithful to Pinnacle, having had Studio right from version 1. It was so easy to use and had so many good features that I persevered, upgrading as soon as the next version came out, in the hope that each version would become less buggy.

Unfortunately, whilst the program became more and more feature rich, it seemed that this just caused the program to become more and more flakey. After paying to upgrade for the forth time (from v1 to v6 to v7 to v8 to v9) I eventually decided "enough is enough". Over the years my collection of videos that needed editing was becoming larger, purely because of the length of time it was taking me to edit them. Sometimes failures would occur early on in a project, whereas other times, having spent a few hours on a project, the whole system would just crash and even going to backup copies didn't seem to work, so I'd have to start right from the beginning again.

Sony Vegas (version5) cost me £500 (I think you can actually get version 6 for less these days), which, Whilst not cheap, is probably only a fraction more than I spent on Pinnacle over the years. I haven't needed to upgrade to version 6 as I don't need the new features and, as stated earlier, I've never experience a single problem with my current version. Not one project I've worked on has given me any problems. It really is so refreshing to work through a project from start to finish perfectly I now wonder why I put up with Pinnacle for so long.

15. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Pinnacle 8 and that was so unreliable but for simple storylining the features were quite good. I have version 9 at the moment and again, it seems quite straightforward but is a lot more reliable, hasn't crashed once in 4 months (uh oh, I see that I am tempting Fate and no doubt the gremlins are on their way). I also use Adobe Premier, as the audio dubbing and frame editing are very useful for my purposes. I even used it to re-align the soundtrack from a TV prog I recorded to pc which was out of sync by as much as half a second.