Video editing on a mac

captainH

Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting myself either an imac or macbook. From what I have read I think either will suit me for everything I need to do but the one thing I am unsure of is video editing.

I don't need to do anything too fancy (just a few titles, transitions and a burn to DVD) but I tend to use a JVC Everio camcorder which records everything in MPEG2 format. These are just copied directly to the machine and imported into the editing software when using the PC. Would the mac supplied software allow me to edit using such files? If not would there be software I should look to buy in addition to the machine? Is there anything else I should be aware of regarding video editing with supplied software?

Thanks in advance.

jont

iMovie 08 supports MPEG-2 editing ... the everio has a firewire port - put the two together and off you go !! ... iDVD 08 will do your menus and burning

If you can get to an AppleStore (don't know where your nearest is) then take your camcorder along and they will give you a demo of how easy it is - take your wallet and you'll probably walk out with one !!

Take a look here www.apple.com/ilife/imovie

Jon

captainH

iMovie 08 supports MPEG-2 editing ... the everio has a firewire port - put the two together and off you go !! ... iDVD 08 will do your menus and burning

If you can get to an AppleStore (don't know where your nearest is) then take your camcorder along and they will give you a demo of how easy it is - take your wallet and you'll probably walk out with one !!

Take a look here www.apple.com/ilife/imovie

Jon

Thanks. :clap: That's what I wanted to hear. Just need to decide which model now. I really need the portability of the macbook but the imac is gooooorgeous....

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Thanks. :clap: That's what I wanted to hear. Just need to decide which model now. I really need the portability of the macbook but the imac is gooooorgeous....

both? :devil:

I have a desktop and a laptop PC. Laptop mostly just for lazy browsing and email. Just replaced the desktop with an imac and I'm just looking for an excuse to ditch the laptop (battery is on its last legs so won't be long now)

I don't have experience with the Everio, but I use a Sony DCR-DVD803e (and a TRV-900) and DVD Camcorder MPEG2 import has never been easier...However there are some constraints when it comes to import, if your camera is supported it will be fantastic, if it is not it will be a pain....You know it yourself that on the PC it is not truly as easy as you say, mpeg2 editing whilst possible does require a bit of a hassle....

Take Jont's advice, go to an Apple centre and try it out. Probably best to book a session online through Apple's site so you get the assistance at a time you want it....

captainH

I don't have experience with the Everio, but I use a Sony DCR-DVD803e (and a TRV-900) and DVD Camcorder MPEG2 import has never been easier...However there are some constraints when it comes to import, if your camera is supported it will be fantastic, if it is not it will be a pain....You know it yourself that on the PC it is not truly as easy as you say, mpeg2 editing whilst possible does require a bit of a hassle....

Take Jont's advice, go to an Apple centre and try it out. Probably best to book a session online through Apple's site so you get the assistance at a time you want it....

Thanks for your comments. I will definitely try one out. I know the mpeg2 files created by the everio have caused me many issues with Adobe Premiere Elements on the PC. Possibly the least friendly piece of software I have ever used when it comes across a problem. If it doesn't like something it just pops up a box saying "Unspecified error" then crashes. It's enough to make me take a hammer to it :devil:

You definitely won't have those issues. MPEG2 Editing, albeit not fully native, is a joy now on the mac in iMovie 08. Key is that your camera is recognised by iMovie because if not it will involve several steps to transcode the data stored on it.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom