Video editing for starter

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by luisfjaramillo, Apr 25, 2007.

1. luisfjaramillo

luisfjaramillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI everyone....
    I`m planning to buy my first laptop to start my small editing business.
    after several days of research., the majority of my coworkers tell me that HP pavillion notebook is a good chice.

any of you has worked with it?
    hp dv 9320 pavillion 17"
    amd turion 64x2 processro tl 56 2 gb ram 120 gb hard drive
    envidia card
    which software would you recomend?
    avid - Premiere - final cut ????

THANKZ

2. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    My uncle (who is a professional) in the video editing business uses Avid Liquid Pro or something like that. And he swears by it.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Using a laptop for video editing could cause a few problems more easily avoided with a desktop PC.

The most common of the problems would be small, slow HDD. Most laptops have a HDD spin speed of 4200rpm that is often too slow for video capture that could cause dropped frames. Even with an empty 120Gb HDD you can only capture around 8 hours of uncompressed video. That may sound plenty but you already have the OS plus other software eating up space. Plus you need plenty more 'working space' for rendering etc. and as the HDD fills up the seek times get longer and general performance drops off.
    The main software for high end editing are Avid Liquid Pro & Adobe Premiere, but both are expensive programs with steap learning curves. If you already know one then I suggest you stick with it to reduce the time taken to get to know it.

You will find loads more help and advice with this in the 'Camcorder & Video Editing' forum. A search of that forum should also help with advice given to others in the past.

Good luck,
    Mark.