1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Editing Advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by elbitrevnoc, Apr 24, 2003.

1. elbitrevnoc

elbitrevnoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm relatively new to digital video, but want to archive from my Sony DCR PC9E Digital camcorder AND from my previous Sony analogue camcorder. I've got firewire connectivity and a bundled version of Pinnacle Studio 7 and have already managed to play about with some first attempts at editing. I've also found that I can dowload analogue video by plugging the analogue camera through the digital camcorder and then sending via firewire.

What's the best software to buy if I want to get the best results and then burn films back to DVD? At the meoment, it seems that the movies I end up with in Media Player are not of the best quality, but I'm not sure what resolution/size I should pick.

Can anyone refer me to some good beginner's advice?

Thanks!!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Studio 7 should do everything you need for now a quiet a long time to come!
    If you want to put your video onto DVD then it needs to be encoded as MPEG-2. This will give the quality required. Media Player files are always low quality.
    The other software provided with a DVD burner will also be ok to get you up and running.

Mark.

3. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just a thought but have you considered buying a stand alone dvdplayer/recorder? having been very disappointed with vcd, svcd picture quality (not a scratch on good old VHS IMO) and also at the time looking upgrade my budget DVD player i splashed out on the Philips DVDR880. With this DVD quality productions are dead easy. Simply edit (Pinnacle 8) in full AV capture mode,export back to the camcorder tape, then plug the camcorder into the front of the Philips 880 and press record, job done. also means the whole family can watch on a nice big telly with pro lodgic surround sound, rather than everyone sat round a 15" monitor fighting over the swivel chair! result.

p.s as the 880 is DVD+RW your discs will play on most other peoples DVD players if you want, not so with DVD-RW or DVDRAM

4. elbitrevnoc

elbitrevnoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to MarkE19 and menalaus. I've upgraded to full version of Studio 8 and I'm putting in a separate hard drive for video. Looks like I'm all set to go now, other than debating whether to go with DVD+ or DVD- drives. May go for DVD-, as I'm tempted by the shortly to arrive Pioneer DVD recorders, with integrated hard drive.

I've posted a new message on the subject of competing formats!