1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video editing a DVD into Pinnacle 9

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by toonster, Apr 27, 2005.

1. toonster

toonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of advice required. I converted all my Digital and analogue camcorder tapes onto DVD's using pinnacle 9. However I only started using the chapters tool towards the end (when I realised how simple it was). So now I want to go back to the first DVD's i did and add in the chapters and menu's. I could just re import them using the camcorder, but I edited them and it would be a right pain in the A**e. So how can I read in the dvds in to a format that Pinnacle will accept.

Cheers in advance

2. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry this isn't an answer to your question but a congratulations on getting the chapter menus working in Pinnacle. I must be a complete div because I can do everything else with Pinnacle but have a nightmare figuring out how on earth to use the chapters. What's the secret sauce? :clap:

3. bcrabtree

bcrabtree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bob,

However, as usual, I opened my trap before thinking. I had another look at the Chapter facility and it is a piece of cake. Studio might fall over, but it's great for a beginner like me. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we'll see; I have upgraded to Edition and I'm sure I'll have more of a challenge with the broader functionality.

Kevin

5. emocean

emocean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bob,
    You said "You simply need to copy the VOB files over to hard disk, rename them so that the file tail is .MPG, rather than .VOB"
    I am simple and I cannot work out how to rename the file tail with windows XP. Your assistance would be much appreciated.
    Matt

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck with Edition. I looked at this when I was getting disheartened with Pinnacle Studio, and just could not get on with it at all as it approaches video editing in a totally different way to Studio.

7. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The correct term is 'File Extension'.

Anyway, to do this, open up Windows Explorer, which you have to do to copy the files from the DVD to your PC, and find the file you wish to rename.

If it does not look as if the file has an Extension, there is a setting within Explorer that turns this on and off. This is under Tools / Folder Options / View. Make sure that the check box next to 'Hide file extensions for known file types' is cleared, then click on the OK button.

Single click on the file you want to rename so that it is highlighted. If you then single click again, the file name will become editable. Alternatively, right click on the file and select 'rename', or you can also do this by using the menus and selecting File / Rename.

When the file name is in edit mode, pressing your right cursor (arrow) key will take you to the end of the file name. You can then delete the 'VOB' by pressing the backspace key 3 times, and then type MPG.

Pressing the Enter key or just clicking on another file will finish this edit process.

Hope this helps.

8. toonster

toonster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be honest Bob, read your reply and thought to myself "Yeah cos it'll be that easy"

Stone the flippin crows!! It seems to be.

You have answered a problem that was causing me so much angst.

Thank you for your help

(by the way I have been on to Pinnacles own forum for a few days now without success)