1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video/dvd rental shops - do they have a future??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by samjet, Mar 28, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    given that the price of buying dvds seems to be coming down in price - unless you want a top title on release date - do you think that the rental market has a long term future?

my local independant shop has just increased overnight rental to £3 - i've told them in no uncertain terms that i am stopped renting and intend to purchase in future - both from retail outlets and the excellent classified section on this forum :thumbsup:

i had for a while been less than happy with the choice on offer and also the damage to discs unless you got it on release day

admittably i don't have a lot of choice since the nearest blockbuster etc is a 15 mile return trip

what are your thoughts???????

2. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I've been a member of screenselect (or in-movies as it was called before it got taken over). This is the online type of dvd rental where you make a big long list of films you want to watch and they send you one-four out and every time you send one back they send you another off the list.

I think this form of rental is the future for convenience sake. The only down side is that you cannot guarrantee what you will get next from your list.

This is where the rental shops still have a market - for people who want to watch a particular film on a particular night.

For example when we heard about the Tsunami happening I went out to Blockbusters (my first visit in years) that night and rented 'The Day After Tommorow' - sick person that I am :devil: - (OK so I also used a freebie voucher from a bag of crisps, but that's not the point)

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    But Blockbusters charge £3.75 for dvd rental (or at least they did the last time i used them probably about a year ago now!) Far more value in buying outright imo!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    What was quite spooky is that I watched this movie the night before the tsunami. When i saw those headlines the morning after I felt like I was in the twilight zone! :eek: