1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIDEO: Datasat LS10 processor and Auro-3D Surround explained

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,192
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    2. magicvinny

magicvinny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +38
      Would this processor be overkill if just using 7.1?

3. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,105
      I think overkill can only be defined by one who's actually investing in it. It maybe overkill for some..it maybe just right for others :thumbsup:

The one bit that surprised me in the vid was the reference to the old wife acceptance factor! Surely if you're designing a new audio concept or developing an existing format..Waf wouldn't come into it? Also, if spending so much and the extra to accommodate Auro..then Waf won't come into it?

Regardless..I hope we start to see some native Auro encrypted soundtracks.

I still think there's scope for a ground or infloor channel for effects emanating from a lower level..maybe that's for the future!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      Very little difference between the RS20 and LS10 is interesting. Do I need input mapping or fancy crossovers. The only shame is Dirac being missing.

5. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,105
      I think the omission of Dirac Live capability is a massive blow. But then there obviously has to be a difference. I've mentioned it on another thread..what Dirac brings to the table is something special, from my own personal experience. As good as the Ls 10 will be, there's a reason why it's the luxury processor and there's a reason why there's also a reference processor.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      Looks like you have had some nice upgrades to your room since we last spoke Asif :thumbsup:. Are you going for the Auro 3D and if so what do you intend to use as your heights and VOG

7. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,105
      Hi Darren, I have indeed swapped a few bits around since we last conversed. I'm not sure with the Auro yet..I'm just finishing off my room..yet again..but if it's coming sooner rather than later, and the upmixing is decent, then quite possibly.

I'll be using the same brand of speaker to keep everything timbre matched if down the Auro route.

8. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +422
      Really nice to see they have put an Asynchronous USB audio input on the LS10.

9. Dans1210

Dans1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +400
      Whoa, you had me until £10k, i was thinking more £5k lol, how long before we see this trickle down to more affordable products?

10. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      I think these will remain expensive un till this HD standard becomes Normal standard.

11. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +560
      RS20.. what dreams are made of! I'd echo the above points already made eloquently by Atif and Rigman.. The Dirac shouldn't have been compromised. £10k too is a big spend and the lack of Dirac takes some of the wind out of the sale for me.
      In any event, I'd expect that both products are quite awesome. Looking forward to Auro. Exciting times ahead for us geeks!

12. Dans1210

Dans1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +400
      It does sound great but really how many people have ten grand to drop on a processor?

13. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +422
      It does seem expensive, but there is a price to pay for quality. Both sound quality and build.

If you look at the LS10 this way, if it really does sound as good as the RS20i ( sans Dirac ) then it beats the sound from the Bryston SP3 and has 7 more channel outputs, peq, dts neo x and auro 3D. All for the same price as the SP3.

14. Dans1210

Dans1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +400
      Yes of course i understand that but still £10k! Of course some of us have more disposeable income than others....anyway im sure its a fantastic product.

15. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +422
      I'm just trying to put its price into perspective. The LS10 is taking some flak on here and other forums in regards to its price. Which I find odd as the SP3 / Ada crm4 and others priced at or around £10k without room eq don't seem to be getting the same flak.

The dacs in the RS20i and the LS10 are of an incredibly high standard equal to the second to top level dacs used in the theta CB4HD. And of course the LS10 has 15 dacs so this is where a fair amount of the cost goes.

Yes a much cheaper unit could be built using say dacs like ones used in Onkyo for eg, but Datasat is about quality.

16. Dans1210

Dans1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +400
      I suppose that depends on your definition of quality, Something from anthem like the 710 receiver would be seen as a quality product at only £2000 including amplification.
      I see you have a set of the 802's, i had chance to listen to these at my local dealer and was blown away effortless sound filled the room like ive never heard before, so i can appreciate 'quality' kit im just jealous i cant afford one lol!
      I guess it seems good value if you can afford kit at this price, i see your point.

17. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,105
      Just had a read up on this thread. There has to be some differentiation between both units..the rs20i and the ls10. It's common sense. IMO, if the ls10 had Dirac, it may as well have been called the Rs19.5i because the difference between the two may have been negligible. Infact, the Ls10 in some ways brings more to the table than it's reference older brother. Off the cuff, you have more hdmi inputs, you have two outputs-which is super handy and something I miss. You also have ir control, which the rs20i doesn't. the Rs20i is based on the commercial platform the Ap20. I'm assuming the Ls10 has been specifically built from the ground up?

So in that respect, it looks to be a reasonably priced processor, which unfortunately still won't be for everyone. If Datasat was a car manufacturer, I'd liken them to someone like Aston Martin. A marque in the field of automobiles. Whilst the reference 20i maybe seen as the Aston 'One'..the Ls would possibly be the equivalent of a Vantage. It is still a marque. It carries the quality and performance synonymous with that marque..a notch above its competitors in the field for which its bred..but it comes at a price. And at it's particular price point, it won't be for everyone. One has to establish if it's a worthwhile investment for themselves.

That's my perception:thumbsup:

Asif

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,513
      You guys much know how much I rate Datasat, awesome group of guys and the RS20i is just unbelievably good but I feel the LS10 misses the mark for me. A processor without a decent EQ is completely untenable for me and one at this price point is a real surprise.

From what I have seen Dirac Live is available for the PC for about £500, if it cost £2000 more and included Dirac the LS10 it would make a lot more sense to me. Who wants a Processor without an Automated EQ these days? CS maybe but then wouldn't you go the extra for the RS20i? The Ls10i seems aimed more at the Prosumer but lacks that killer feature that would make it a simpler setup proposition.

It is almost like they neutered the LS10 to safeguard the RS20i status. I can't help thinking they would be better off with two great products than one great and one half-baked.

RS20i was always going to be unattainable for me but the LS10 was something I could dream of but without Dirac, disappointing :(

I can only assume it is down to processing power but can't this be done off board with a PC or does it require real-time processing?

Wine fuelled rant over. :)

Adam

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014