Question Video Converting (mkv for ps4 playback)

DanielWilko

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a TV show I want to watch from my PS4 but currently the files are .MKV H.265 video files and these do not work on the ps4!

Does anyone know of any Apple Mac software, hopefully free, that can convert these videos so I can play them back?

I'm not concerned about file size or quality of the video, I just want to convert them so that I can watch them through the ps4 media player on a HDD.

I may add that, i'm not very 'techy' so I may have used wrong terms or not understand certain terms either!

thanks
Dan

MacrosTheBlack

Handbrake is the go to free converter for video files on the PC or Mac.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Install it and then point it at one of your MKV files and convert to one of the preset MP4 defaults in the Handbrake sidebar. Under "Regular" you should be fine with "Normal" or "High Profile" settings.

Oh and don't be alarmed if the fans go into high spin mode on your Mac, it's normal, video converting is quite processor intensive.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
H.265 (aka HEVC) is a cutting edge encoding so if convering to an older encoding (H.264 being the most popular) you can expect the resulting files to take up more disk space at the same quality.

You probably want to keep the H.265 files around if you're likely to watch it again in future.

DanielWilko

Handbrake is the go to free converter for video files on the PC or Mac.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Install it and then point it at one of your MKV files and convert to one of the preset MP4 defaults in the Handbrake sidebar. Under "Regular" you should be fine with "Normal" or "High Profile" settings.

Oh and don't be alarmed if the fans go into high spin mode on your Mac, it's normal, video converting is quite processor intensive.
Handbrake was good! Thanks for that, it helped convert all the videos to the necessary file! The visuals are brilliant but the sound is not good! I used the standard/regular settings to an MP4 but the sound at points sounds like a crackling!! Very weird!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom