• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Video converting error with Handbrake

sunnysunnysunny

At the moment I'm using PS3 Video 9 to convert my ripped DVDs to .mp4 format, but each movie takes around 4/5 hours, which is too long.
I heard about Handbrake which is apparently excellent, so I installed it, but whenever I try to convert a movie, it says that the Estimated Remaining Time is around 4000 hours!
What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had this? What can be done to solve it?

tbeachly

Don't know about 'Handbrake' but I use Dr.Divx myself.

Tis relatively quick, May be worth a try

tbeachly

sunnysunnysunny

Solar

How long does it take to convert a 2 hour movie? Also, does it have the ability to upscale a ripped DVD to 720p?
it can yes, but dont bother, the ps3 does it just fine
dr divx is by far the best and easiest program ive used to encode movies for my ps3, not to mention one of the fastest and its guaranteed to work

sunnysunnysunny

OK, I just installed Dr. DivX and the latest DivX codec for good measure.
Every time I open one of my ripped VOB files and start the converting process, it gets about 5 or 6 minutes into the analyzing and then just crashes. I'm running Vista, if that helps. Any ideas? :confused:

D

Deleted member 92943

My plan was to rip all my SD-DVD movies to an external HDD using Handbrake. I'm having 2 issues with it

1. The PS3 doesn't upscale the videos
2. No matter how i do the settings, it won't move the 5.1 sound over, onlt 2 channel stereo

Solar

OK, I just installed Dr. DivX and the latest DivX codec for good measure.
Every time I open one of my ripped VOB files and start the converting process, it gets about 5 or 6 minutes into the analyzing and then just crashes. I'm running Vista, if that helps. Any ideas? :confused:
i just searched up on the divx forums and found this

Same problem here:

Any version since DrDivx 2.0.1 b3 crashes at 81% while loading VOB files (previously ripped on hd). Even if it does not crash while loading the VOBs, it will crash during the analysis phase.

DrDivx 2.0.1 b2 works just fine and does not crash. Any help (other than to use drdivx 2.0.1 b2) ???

Please don't say "don't use VOBs" . I NEED to use VOBs, and the fact is that DrDivx 2.0.1 b2 works, unlike b3,b4,b5,b6
my guess is you need a older more stable version :smashin:

sunnysunnysunny

i just searched up on the divx forums and found this

my guess is you need a older more stable version :smashin:
Tried that as well, didn't work.
I managed to find a different way. Since VOBs are essentially .mpg files, you simply rename the .vob to .mpg and open it in Dr. DivX. Mine's currently converting fine! :thumbsup:

sunnysunnysunny

OK, just converted the renamed .vob to .divx using Dr. DivX. I used Home Theater mode and "Extreme Quality", and yet the quality came out very grainy when I transfered it to the PS3.
What settings are best for best quality on the PS3 and what do you guys use? Thanks :)

Solar

i use the advanced settings, with insane quality, 900kbps and 2 pass and it just looks right for me.
have a mess around with it and see what suits you really.
Best way is to download a hidef trailer rather than testing on full films otherwise you will be there for days figuring out how you want it

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom