Video conversion settings for a total novice

RetroGlide08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok I have my network attached drive that I would like to store some of my films on and then stream via my PS3/Xbox 360.
I also have a copy of iSkysoft iMedia Converter and have some various films in .avi .MKV Mpeg4 etc.

Can someone please advise me as to what settings will give me the best visual results regardless of the file size?

Thanks in advance.

I have an 8.5GB mkv file that I would like to convert to any file that would be compatible with my PS3 and also a format that cold be read by a DVD player.

Also some h.264 AAC files that are approx 1.5Gb that I would like to convert to DVD player readable.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Well your asking two very different things.

For compatibility between the PS3 and Xbox 360 video must

Container = MP4
Video Codec = x264
Audio Codec = AAC-LC (2ch stereo)

or

Container = AVI
Video Codec = DivX or XviD
Audio Codec = MP3 (2ch stereo) or AC3 (5.1)

A DVD player plays MPEG-2 video, some can play DivX AVI's too. The x264 format is better than DivX/XviD as it retains much more detail in the video.

If you wish to encode media to be compatible with the PS3/360 I suggest you download Ripbot264 and use these settings
Profile = High
Container = MP4
CQ = 18
Audio = AAC-LC (2.0 ch)

This will encode a video that will play on either game console and keep the image quality very close to that of the original video without a pre-determined file size.

If you want to encode into XviD AVI I suggest trying out XviD4PSP and use it convert the videos into AVI's.

Thank you next010,

My only question is the "container"? Is that the format I save the video file as?

Apologies for the n00b questions btw

A container is the vessel for the video and audio some containers are fixed standards holding only specific types were as others can be universal holding anything.

For example the MP4 container can hold
MPEG-4 AVC aka H.264 (x264 is an encoder based off this format)
MPEG-4 ASP (DivX/XviD are encoders based off this format)

Audio wise it holds
MP3 or AAC audio

The MKV container can hold any combination of video or audio, the AVI container tends to used with MPEG-4 ASP video.

The container does not strictly define the type of video or audio that is used with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom