1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video conversion - Denon 3803 or separate box?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bbq, Sep 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bbq

bbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Panasonic Plasma screen, with Component input.
    I am looking to buy a Harmon Kardon DVD 25 - which will be able to provide Progressive Scan on component out.

Perfect I think...
    Except I also have a Tivo and a Freeview box (does RGB & SCART)

So, since the Pana screen only has one Component input - and is a right pain about the exclusivity across the S-Video & composite (spit) inputs I thought it would be good to try to get everything in to the screen via component -- ideally with the DVD Player straight through (e.g. no extra processing)

So my short list came up with;
    Denon 3803 Receiver - to do up conversion to Component though may not be able to do straight through for the DVD player)

Or
    A separate switching/conversion box (open to suggestions here)

I don't currently have an AMP - so maybe well be buying a 3803/ Pio 2011 or maybe the bigger brothers (Denon A1S or Pioneer AX10) anyhow. Can the bigger Denon/Pioneer do video up-conversion??

Any thoughts? Are there any other amplifiers out there that do video conversion?

Finally - do these various options here cope with multiple (different format) input sources - or do they all require the same - e.g. ALL inputs must be S-Video.

thanks in advance
    <m.>

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

The Pioneer AX10i and Denon A1SR will do video upconversion as does the Denon 3803. They can upconvert a composite or S-video signal to output a component video signal. Of course, to convert an RGB Scart signal from your Tivo and Freeview box you would need something like the converter made by www.js-technology.com - these might not be the cheapest converters available, but they are regarded as being the best. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Its worth remembering that the 3803 converts s-video or composite signals going in to a component signal going out, but the quality of the output is still only what you put in. The "up" conversion description is a tad misleading, really useful if you have loads odf sources and are limited to a couple of inputs on the display.

The JS converter turns RGB into component and preserves the full broadcast quality of the input signal. To get the best combination for your kit I would suggest DVD component into the amp; digibox via TIVO to JS RGB to component converter, then to component input 2 on the 3803. Use the amp as a switch. As dutch says they are not cheap, but quality is top class, and with the amp and plasma that you have it would be daft to hobble them with poor quality kit.

4. bbq

bbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help guys - it was my concern that the conversion capability of the amp would be lower than that of a seperate box.... now back to the decision about which Amp.

I'd love to connect the my Apple MAC to it via Firewire or USB....

<m.>

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey bbq, is it not Onkyo that has USB connectivity and Ethernet for the Mac. You may want to check that out considering you don't really want to go down the upconversion route.....

In addition there are very few amps around with more than two component inputs so you may as well use one of those Audio Authority component video switchboxes. That way you don't have to worry about component inputs on the Amp....