1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video conversion AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MichelS, Aug 30, 2005.

1. MichelS

MichelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

My dvd player is connected with component to my AVR300. The satellite receiver is connected with S-video to AVR300. Normally, given that the AVR300 is able to make upconversion video, the signal of the satellite receiver to my projector should be through the components wire (as well as the signal of the VHS which is in composite) which are between the AVR300 and the projector. But actually, I need to plug also the S-video cable from the AVR300 to my projector (In focus 4800), in order to get the signal of the satellite receiver to my projector. Otherwise, I don't get any signal from the satellite. I only can see the image of the DVD through the component cables. Is there any one who got the same problem? If so, anything you have done to bypass this problem? Maybe the upconversion does not work on my AVR300. It is brand new!

Thanks in advance... A french canadian from Quebec city.
    Michel

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It certainly should work. Does the composite-component coversion work?
    If not, check that you have HQ Video set to YUV.

Check that you do NOT have a HQ Video input assigned to the button for the input you are feeding the S-Video into.

3. MichelS

MichelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    _________
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate! I double checked not having a HQ video input assigned to the button for the input I am feeding the S-video into. Actually, what I did was to remove the S-video and keep only the composite coming from the satellite. The upconversion still does not work! In other words, I have to switch my projector (INfocus 4800) to either Component (if I want to watch DVD) or composite if I want to watch Satellite. Well I can deal with that, but
    1- my wife is still asking why she has to deal with the Macro on the remote control (the macro created in order to switch automatically the Infocus to the right entry, either component or composite, given that the signal is coming from the DVD or the satellite) :mad:
    2- Arcam says that the AVR300 is able to make the conversion from composite to S-video or to Component, meaning that I need only one cable between the AVR to the INFOCUS, the component cables.

I guess I will go back with my AVR to the place where I bought it to make the necessary repair. But before doing this, that is before unplugging everything at the back (gee I hate to do that) I still wonder if I have done eveything I could or should to make this upconversion working.

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have composite to component working with no trouble at all - it worked at the first attempt. So I guess your unit is faulty.

Which software version are you running - it may need an upgrade (push DVD and SAT buttons together, report SW and DSP versions).

5. MichelS

MichelS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, I discovered the trouble. It was not the AVR300 but my projector which accepts only progressive images on it's component input. So, given the signal of the satellite is not progressive, the projector was not able to get this signal through the component input. Using the other input (component but with an adaptor to the S-video input on the projector), everything is fine! Well, of course it is not the best setting, because my s-video cable between AVR300 and the projector is not as good as the 3 cables of the component. But, I guess pretty soon I will buy a new projector that will accept onterlace and progressive in the component input.

Thanks a lot again to have take time to asnwer my qyestion.

Yours.

michel