Video Conversion and switching

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gwc, Sep 9, 2004.

1. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I am currently planning out a Home Cinema and I am current looking at the cabling side.

Do Scalers/processors perform a conversion switching function? So that you only need to run one cable (say DVI) to a Projector.

Or do you need to running a cable for each source component?

Cheers

Gwc

2. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you would only need to run one cable from the scaler to your display - as well as scale / covert or whatever it'll also switch. I run a single lead from my scaler to the plasma. Now all I gotta do is bury that cable in the wall... ;)

dan.

3. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have an recommendations as I have no experience of scalers/processors and need a nudge in the right direction.

Cheers

gwc

4. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, I bought an iScan HD to sit between my sources and my screen and while I am very (*very*) happy with it I cannot really advise "buy X not Y" because I have no experience of any others in operation! In the same way that all "what plasma should I buy?" threads turn into an "I bought a X and I love it" vs "I bought a Y" posting competition, I'll start by saying the iScan made my NTL Digital box's pictures watchable on my 50 incher, because when sent straight to the screen I could've cried! And on top of that it is (relatively) cheap. Next month Gordon's coming round to ISF me, when that's done the source -> scaler -> screen will arguably look as good as it is ever gonna look so I'll be in a better position to judge just how fab it all is. I'll get back to you!

Dan.

5. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that, Dan.

Is the ISF calibration expensive?

Cheers

Gary

6. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When looked at in terms of the number of DVDs or pints of beer I could buy instead - yes it is, very! But since I've already spent nigh-on six grand on a plasma + scaler + DVD player + my monthly sub to NTL, I consider it worth the cost to make sure I'm definitely getting the max out of the money I've already spent. I ummed and ahhed for a long while about getting it done - if you do a search for "ISF plasma" you'll find all the same posts I did which eventually convinced me to go for it!

dan.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    gwc

Most Video Processors do act as video switchers and will accept a range of varied Input signals and bring them all together as one output signal.

If your planning a Home Theatre the 'big' question is if your sticking to a single display device (plasma) or possibly two display devices (plasma + projector).

Many Video Processors can potentially have Two output memories set up to enable you to have different settings to suit multiple displays - though mostly the Video Processors only have a single output so you may need to add a Digital (DVI or HDMI) or Analogue (RGBHV or YUV) Video distribution amp 'down stream' of the Video Processor.

Its also not unheard of to have a third display device to 'preview' your video sources if you have the kit in a separate room or a cupboard - where you cant actually see you main display; a small LCD PC monitor is often used.

You also need to plan carefully if you want to be able to record any video sources to DVD, VCR or PC - your not likely to find a recorder that works with the scaled output from the Video Processor so you have to send the 'un processed' source signal to a Recorder plus the Video Processor.

Any questions please shout.

Joe

8. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Joe,

I will be sticking to a single display device, a projector (not decided which one yet).

I think mine will be a fairly simple set-up:

DVD
    SkyPlus
    X box
    Playstation2

all connected to the scaler.

Have you any recommendations to get me started?

Cheers

Gary