1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Connections for AV8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Tracey, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it correct that if I decided to get a plasma that only has one input, that I would connect the Sky box and DVD recorder to the AV8 via composite connections, as this way the video switching would be handled by the AV8, or would I be better off getting an extra connection device so that the sky box and Dvd recorder are connected by RGB scart into the plasma?

I'm hoping to lay all my cabling under the floor this weekend (finally) and as my AV8 will be situated on the other side of the room to my tv (or eventually my plasma), I need to know what cables to run to make sure I have everything covered. I've got the audio sorted and I've got a composite cable but I didn't realise that with a plasma I should also run video cables as the AV8 can process these. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I would achieve the best picture through Sky. I'm not worried about automatic widescreen switching, I don't mind doing that manually.

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,
    What is the only input that your plasma has? Surprised it only has one?
    You should always run the best quality in and out of the AV8.

For info my plasma, sky etc connects as following
    Sky box Scart RGB to JStech RGB - YUV
    JStech YUV to AV8 YUV
    DVD YUV to AV8 YUV
    AV8 YUV out to Lumagen (but could be the plasma YUV

Regards
    John

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, I don't know what plasma I'll be getting yet, but I was advised that the neatest and best way to connect everything is to route all video through my AV8.

sorry I'm a bit of a novice, can you tell me exaclty what type of interconnect I would need from say the sky box and my DVD recorder, as I understand it, unless I have an s-video output I would need to use the composite out from the sky box. Am I getting this completely wrong?

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,
    2 questions,
    1) What output does your sky box have, ie Scart, Svideo
    2) What output does your DVD recorder have?

Cheers
    John

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got the Sky box yet so I won't know until I get it installed which will be after the floor is fitted :(

I've just found this which lists the video inputs/outputs for the HS2
    Video in/outputs: Front: DV, S-Video, composite video, stereo audio inputs
    SCART 1: RGB, S-Video, composite video and stereo audio out
    SCART 2: RGB, S-Video, composite video and stereo in & S-Video, composite video and stereo out
    RGB loop through with Scart 2 to 1
    REAR INPUT: S-Video, composite video, stereo audio
    REAR OUTPUT: S-Video, composite video and stereo audio
    Also antenna in and out at rear

I really need something that will work for the HS2 and the sky box but if I need to change any plugs in the future that will be ok as long as the video cable is compatible I can just get new plugs soldered on.

Thanks for helping.

Tracey

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Tracey,
    Right the best thing for the DVD recorder would be to take the RGB scart and convert it to YUV. You could do this with either a JStech RGB2YUV converter or something like the ???? Can't remember the name but someone like MAW or Dutch will know(the JStech is about £145)
    Ideally you would do the same thing for the sky box.

This all adds up though because you still have to add in a set of component leads for each converter box and also a set form the AV8 out to the plasma. Your total out lay would be close to £400 with the JStech, but it is seen as the best!!!!

Alternatively you could run Svideo to the AV8 form your sources and then component out to the plasma. In addition you'll also need L&R audio form your sources to the AV8. If you still have your DV27 use the component out of that into the AV8

HTH
    John

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, more money!! So if I understand correctly (bear with me), I only need one component lead between the AV8 and the tv/plasma, all the other leads will run between the converter, which I can site under the tv/plasma.

I just assumed that I would use scart to scart for the sky box and DVDR directly into the plasma (or tuner box) and not need any connections from those to the AV8 apart from the audio.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to daisy chain the Sky box and DVDR you can (scart to scart), that I think will save one converter, ie just take the output of the DVDr to the converter. The JSTech box has audio out which it gets an input signal from the scart lead. I've found using the AV8 as a video switcher is really convieniant, as soon as I switch input the sound and vision change at the same time.

If your plasma has a scart input then you could use that. How are you proposing to connect your DV27 to the plasma?

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running two component leads from the DV27/AV8 to the tv, so I should be able to connect to the plasma for a progressive scan signal and it also leaves me with a spare component.

I need to lay the cables this weekend, so I think the easiest thing to do is to run two lengths of flexible conduit with a dummy cable and pull string, so I hav the option of adding some cables once I know what I need, my dealer already said that it won't be a problem to come and solder some plugs on for me.

Failing that, I noticed that www.hificables.co.uk sell unterminated video cable but I don't know which one I should get or how many runs of it I need to cover everything.

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey can I ask why you arr running 2 lots of component from the DV27?

If your running cables this weekend, what will happen if you need/want Scart instead of Svideo?

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running two components as a proper RGB signal requires 5 runs of cable, so if I run two components I potentially have 5 runs plus one spare. I am thinking about running a cable (unterminated) that can be used as either component or S video, so I have a choice. I will already be running an RGB only scart from the DV27 to my Loewe Aconda so that will be spare when I get a plasma. I would still have the option of connecting the sky box and DVDR via scart to an add on board of scart controller.

I'm going to discuss with the dealer tomorrow.

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Tracey

how did you get on at your dealers ??

Seems from reading the threads there's a bit of confusion going on about what cable does what ... we discussed this a while back ... still need any more help ?

rgds

Jon

13. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I decided to lay two lengths of flexible conduit underneath the floor so I can add some cables in then future if I need to. I also laid 5 single runs of Liberty cable which can be terminated later on, it can be used for S-Video, component, composite and RGB. So I think I've got it covered. The main problem is that I don't know what plasma I want yet. I didn't want to run extra cables as there were so many already, but now they're all hidden under the floor it doesn't look that bad at all so a few extra cables that aren't being used can just be tied together for the time being.

The bad news is I can't use my hi-fi now until the lounge is completley finished, I'm getting withdrawal symtoms already! :(