1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Connection To Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Harps, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am shortly going to install my Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector. I would like to connect a video to the projector. I know that this is by no means the best source for a picture, but am likely to use it now & again.

My question is, what connection to the projector should I use? I am going to buy a video for the cinema room and was thinking of buying one with S-video out so that I can use it to connect to the S-Video on the Z1 via my AV amp. Problem is that it is going to cost about £150-£180 for a sony or panasonic. Or should I not bother with S-video and just use a normal video with a scart connection and take the Composite video signal from a scart adaptor and connect it to the composite on the projector.

Advice/opinons/views would be much appreciated.

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would go for an s-video connection. The quality of the composite video input to the Z1 is appalling - the worst thing about the projector in my opinion.

VHSs are watchable if you use s-video, although you will see all those horrible vhs type defects much more easily on a big screen!

Bill

3. Jim v2.0

Jim v2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pass all my sources through a scart switch box and then an RGB to component converter. This is then chucked through a BriteView processor onto the Z1.

You could however just pass the signal from the converter straight into the z1 (converter costs about £120). Only trouble with that is it wont convert non RGB signals. The briteview will however e.g. it has component & composite inputs and component output. It costs a bit but does make the most of iffy sources.

4. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Harps

What sort of stuff are you gonna be watching from video, pre-recorded or time-shift stuff?

For pre-recorded stuff I wouldn't have thought a SVHS machine will yield much improvement, how many have you got? Rather than spend 180 on a new machine why not replace the vids with the DVD's of them, you'll be blown away each time you view them on the Z1!

If your gonna time-shift what about a dvd recorder or possibly a tivo, I managed to pick one up in dec for £95, haven't subscribed and now have a fully functional digital recorder.

Tim

5. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to be watching mostly pre-recorded stuff. Some of the stuff that I want to watch isnt available on DVD. Also there will be occasions I just want to watch stuff that has been recorded for me by others.

The main question is, is the S-Video connection going to be far better than the composite connection.

Another possible option may be to use a scart to S-Video adaptor. Is this the same quality as a true S-Video output or is it not quite as good?

6. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Harps

The scart to svdeo adaptors I think your talking about (scart plug with a svdeo socket and phonos?) are for when your scart socket socket is configured for svdeo output. Also I think most svideo converters need an RGB source as an input and not composite.

For reference I've just hooked my Sky box using a RGB -> VGA converter into the Z1, there's a definite improvement but it's not like going from composite to RGB on DVD, due to the quality of the SKY picture. I'm assuming the difference in a VHS picture will be less still.

I'd be tempted to start off with a half decent composite cable and see how you go.

try www.beyondhifi.com they sell a 5m composite cable for around £12

Tim