VIDEO: CES 2013: Panasonic unveil new LED LCD TVs for 2013

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Passive aggressive

It's all change for Panasonic's LED LCD TV Range. It's out with the (excellent) active 3D system and in with an entire range of polarised 3D TVs.

What will that mean in terms of picture quality?

The affable Fabrice Estornel from Panasonic UK takes us through:

Attachments

• dt60.jpg
    dt60.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Intresting move to passive 3D .. agree its good enought for the lill 3D content people use

Just a bit awkward there but well done for asking Steve.:smashin: Talking of awkward, I love the end bit, was that you blushing or Phil's camera picking up a red tint from the lights?:laugh::smashin:

Intresting move to passive 3D .. agree its good enought for the lill 3D content people use

Interesting how he said it was good enough for the LED sets lol, the body language says it all. Plasma best for PQ, but market demands LED, so that's what they have to make. Not only was the fact they're using passive awkward as it means LG panels but also goes against what they said in 2011.

Interesting how he said it was good enough for the LED sets lol, the body language says it all. Plasma best for PQ, but market demands LED, so that's what they have to make. Not only was the fact they're using passive awkward as it means LG panels but also goes against what they said in 2011.

:laugh: true seems he wasnt that confident in his own led tv range
Led tvs is more for the casual crowd :cool: the average joe

So many things I could say but won't:laugh:

She was a bit distracting.:laugh:

@vaktmestern. It must be frustrating working in an industry where you may have to follow the market rather than do what you want. Then if they did a better job with promoting plasma in the first place and then got 3D right he'd not be shrugging his shoulders.

I personally think passive is better on LED, any active sets I've seen had bad crosstalk.

These new sets do look the business, not sure about the clear plastic stand though.:thumbsdow be interested how LCDs have improved this year in any meaningful way.

Good looking sets agree on that , huge step up on design from panasonic vs last years led tv range glad they starting to take chances on design n making a led range that what most people is happy with.

She was a bit distracting.:laugh:

@vaktmestern. It must be frustrating working in an industry where you may have to follow the market rather than do what you want. Then if they did a better job with promoting plasma in the first place and then got 3D right he'd not be shrugging his shoulders.

I personally think passive is better on LED, any active sets I've seen had bad crosstalk.

These new sets do look the business, not sure about the clear plastic stand though.:thumbsdow be interested how LCDs have improved this year in any meaningful way.

I'm pretty sure from what Mark has said in the past that active 3D on the Pana LCDs is great, also David from hdtvtest. Not sure why LCD gets a bashing tbh , it's not the tech that's the issue its the way they are lit IMO, edge led is useless. My old IPS panel CCFL from 2008 is still fantastic to watch :).

Having said that I really really want an F8500 :laugh:, sadly no 60 incher for the UK again:(.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure from what Mark has said in the past that active 3D on the Pana LCDs is great, also David from hdtvtest. Not sure why LCD gets a bashing tbh , it's not the tech that's the issue its the way they are lit IMO, edge led is useless. My old IPS panel CCFL from 2008 is still fantastic to watch :).

Having said that I really really want an F8500 :laugh:, sadly no 60 in her for the UK again:(.

Yes that is a bit of a git:( I wanted a 60" darn it!

Yes edge lit is awful, full array is interesting but you still get uniformity problems and to my eye a big screen needs to be pp lit for real content, just not my cup of tea.

Design looks great but I think I can only stretch to 42" , any confirmation on which models get that size in the UK?

Passive aggressive

It's all change for Panasonic's LED LCD TV Range. It's out with the (excellent) active 3D system and in with an entire range of polarised 3D TVs.

What will that mean in terms of picture quality?

The affable Fabrice Estornel from Panasonic UK takes us through:

CES 2013: Panasonic unveil new LED LCD TVs for 2013 - YouTube

<table id="post18301717" class="tborder postbit" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1 postMessageArea" id="td_post_18301717" style="border-right: 0px solid #cfd4e2;"> All panels passive 3D. Does this actually mean that all the panels are outsourced? Even for the top WT and DT lines? Or are they sticking in WT60, DT60 and ET60 line with their own Alpha panels, yet licencing passive polarizing layer. Maybe it's no huge deal for most of the people out there, but I've done some research and from what I gathered seems that even though they're based on a same IPS type-tech, Alpha panels are superior to LG's panels in terms of viewing angles, colour reproducibility, light transmittance and luminosity (since based on one of the variant of the F.F.S. - Fringin Field Switch). LG is using the e-IPS technology that is more cost wise oriented, sacrificing the absolute achievable performance. Difference is no huge, still there however. Passive 3D seems like a smart move for LCD , but I think they shoulda stick with active shutters for DT and WT line, where their proprietary 4,200 Back Light Scanning Technology would come into its own.
confused.gif

Can you Steve or you Phil evaluate while u still at CES? :lease:
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 0px solid #cfd4e2; border-top: 0px;border-right: 1px solid #e4ecd1;">
</td> <td class="alt1" style="border: 0px solid #cfd4e2; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
Don't know if this is the proper place to ask but since its about the new panasonic models.
Does anybody know if the ET60 models will be available in smaller lcd sizes than 50"? They are the successors to the current ET5 series right?

I was thinking of taking advantage of the current low prices and a discount on a store to get a 42ET5 for 480&#8364;, which seems like a great price but im not sure if i should wait one more year, maybe the new ones will be better and they do have a better design, i just don't know if next year i will catch such a good price as this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom