1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video CDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by karla, Jul 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know anything about these? I do not mean the official ones, but those seen on various market stalls.
    Where do they come from? China? How are they mastered? What are they mastered from?
    Lately, I have seen a glut of these things, selling for around 4 pounds each and have seen some very "recent" titles, many just released theatricaly stateside. At 4 pounds a pop they are worth a risk and I have been surprised at the quality. Not dvd obviously, but clear and sharp as a Video CD could be and not at all "camcorder versions".
    Hope this query does not cause offence to anyone!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    VCDs are made in Asia, mainly Malaysia (yep, right here in front of my nose) and e.g. Philipines.
    They are shipped out worldwide from those countries.
    Most of the production plants are run by syndicates from Hong Kong, got too hot there so they "outsourced" the production.
    It's a huge and profitable business actually.

Sources are camcorder (very new movies), LD or DVD, depends on what's available and how old the movie is.
    Some covers are printed with "THX", "Dolby Digital", "DVD Copy", "DTS Es" etc. but don't believe any of it.
    As you know this is technically not possible (except for the DVD copy, but they are rare).

The quality ranges from sh.. to good, but good ones (as good as VCD gets, that is) are rare.
    The BTW sell here for less than GBP1.00!

On a further note: you can obtain DVDs here fore GBP3-4, either locally produced (R0/NTSC) or R1 copies. Needless to say that the latter are faultless since they are identical copies down to the last bit - literally.
    R0 are as well from different sources while those R1 copies are not that common - yet.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Dodgy subject, but there's DVDs of Tomb Raider, JP3, Cats and Dogs, Final Fantasy etc floating around and they (well TR anyway) appear to have been telecined from a cinema print that's been "borrowed" whilst on release in the East, the picture quality is frankly amazing.
    I don't condone this stuff, but it's amazing how far the bootleggers have come on from the snowy vids of the 80's. And at the prices it's easy to see why folks consider these things worth a gamble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.