1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video CDs in my DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ShaneOC, Jan 17, 2002.

1. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post - first question.

I got hold of 2 video cds from a friend of mine who was abroad. They work perfectly on my PC but neither work in my DVD player.

The first one reports "disc error" and displays "no play" on the front of the player.

The second one is recognised as a Video CD by the player. The front display shows that there is one track and the length (01h 25m) but when I press play nothing happens.

If I use explorer to see what is on each disc I just see a single mpeg file on each CD.

Does anyone know why they won't play on the DVD player?

Also does anyone know what software I should use to burn my own Video CDs. I am thinking that maybe if I copy the mpeg files to my PC and burn my own discs then it might work.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    What dvd player have you got?

Some of the players that dont have dual lasers cant play CDR´s etc

Maybe youve got one of these?

3. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player is a multi region Hitachi. I have no idea whether or not it has a dual laser, but it does say that it is meant to play video CDs and as I said it does recognise one of the discs as a Video CD but does not play.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You may find that it will play official Video cd´s but not your own recorded ones.

Thats the only reason I think of!!

Dvd players that dont have dual lasers have a dual focus laser instead but they cant read CDR´s etc properly.

5. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase.

I have burned regular music CDs onto CDR and they work fine in the DVD player. It does not read mp3s but I bought it before the format became popular. It will not read from CDRWs at all.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    the dics you have don't have, sound like proper VCD's......they sound like normal PC cd-r with just a big video clip on it.

Also check your dvd player plays CDR's.

7. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may find if you copy the VCDs on to CD-RW discs (rather than CDR) they may work (well with my sony it does), some people say certain brands work, but it is hit and miss.

8. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    When you view it on your PC you say all it has is a MPEG file?
    If that's the case then they are not VCD's.

A VCD has a few directories that hold video/audio and other bits and pieces and the video file isn't called .mpeg etc.. but something else. I can't remember off hand the correct name the file is give on a VCD.

As mjn says, they sound more like a CDR copy of mpeg files done on a PC. Not in VCD format.

Quick way to answer it all is to load up explorer and then insert the disk. Take a screen print of explorer and then paste the image onto a post in here. Then we can have a look and see what the disk format is like.

9. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all that info.

According to explorer there was just one mpeg file so I expect that you are correct when you say it is not a true VCD.

I have Nero which has an option to burn Video CD's so I think I will copy the mpeg file from the disc I have to my PC and then use Nero to burn a proper Video CD.

I will let you know how I get on.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit rusty on VCD's as it has been a while since I have actually played any but I'm sure that the actual file that contains the movie on a VCD is .DAT file and not a .MPG (it most likely is an MPG file but the extension is DAT)

All the VCD's have a specific directory structure and I guess that if this isn't correct then your player will not recognise it as a VCD.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    All absolutely correct.
    ShaneOC - yes - you need to copy the .mpg off the supplied CD and then use Nero to make a "proper" VCD for you.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to add that VCDs are limited to around 60 minutes only, 1h 25min cannot be unless the TOC (table of content) is wrong.

13. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On further investigation I found that the files are actually avi's. I downloaded avi2vcd which is an mpeg1 encoder. It had to first decompress the sound and then actually encode the mpg file. Not exactly a fast process. Started it at about 10 last night and it was just over half way through before I left for work.

Just a question about the size of the files. The avi file was 700Mb and when the sound was decompressed the new file was 1.8Gb. Is there a way of calculating how big the mpg file will be? Also what software should be used to split the mpg file assuming that it is too big to fit on the disc? (Does Nero do this splitting?)

14. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    If you make the MPG file according to VCD standards (which you WILL need to do to make a fully-compliant Video CD) - your rule of thumb is about 10mb per minute of running time. (Not exact). You can get about 70 minutes onto a fully compliant video CD.

For more information on VCD look at www.vcdhelp.com

To make a MPG file from an AVI I very strongly recommend tmpgenc which you can download, free from www.tmpgenc.net

15. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    You can also use tmpgenc to cut the mpg file up if it won't fit on a 74min cd.

16. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. The encoding took 22 hours using avi2vcd. Downloaded tmpgenc and used it to split the mpg file. Nero burned the vcd in about 10 mins and it worked perfectly. Surprised at how good the quality was.

Does the encoding always take so long?

Is tmpgenc any faster?

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    tmpgenc has a number of "quality" choices which affect the conversion speed. I always use the highest quality (very slow) setting which gives excellent results with little visible pixellation on all but the busiest of scenes.

On my PIII/500, tmpgenc, on this high(slow) setting it takes about 15x running time to generate the mpg file from an AVI ie 45 minutes for a 3 minute pop video. You can use the batch converter tool in tmpgenc if you have several files, and then leave the thing on overnight to process (switch your monitor off).

18. ShaneOC

ShaneOC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel. The avi file that I converted was over 90 mins and took 22 hours using avi2vcd. This is just under 15x running time. I will have to try it on a smaller file to see how fast my 850MHz PIII can do the processing.