Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Video CD??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Reedly, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Reedly

Reedly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

This is my first post in this forum...Nice to meet everyone!

I had a friend ask me if there was a way to create photo/video slideshows on the computer and view them on a DVD player. I told him it sure seemed like there would be, but I didn't have a DVD burner on my computer, so I had never even tried.

Long story short...I've done some searching and found many ways to do this. However, I have not burned a CD and tried it in my personal DVD player yet. I found several free trials that placed watermarks or created quite compressed versions of a nice slideshow.

Is there a program that creates slideshows with the quality, (at least) of photoshop's album 2.0 starter, etc...?? I'm thinking that I probably have a program that will create what I'm looking for, but since I've never researched it before I'm not yet aware of it.

Photoshop album creates a great slideshow, but it's in PDF format, am I right to assume that PDF's won't open on a DVD player for tv??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

THank you!!
    Reedly.

2. Reedly

Reedly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

I did some searching on this forum, and found a post by "beejaycee" that was perfect for my question.

Thanks beejaycee if you happen to find this reply!

Any other ideas will still be graciusoly accepted!
    Reedly.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There - answered your question before you even asked it.

Happy to have helped.

4. Reedly

Reedly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha!! You're like a super power...invisible AV guy.

I was wondering, is there a way to quickly edit the amount of time in between each slide? I see that I can drag the amount of time in the timeline for each individual slide, but that could be quite time consuming with a large slideshow!

I'm working on this too, so who knows, maybe I'll find this answer before I get a reply!! Hopefully that's the case!!

Thanks for your help!
    Reedly.

5. Reedly

Reedly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I found the setting in Windows Movie Player to change how long before the pic changes, however, now I am a little let down by the quality of the "slideshow" movie. Is there a way to not get a compressed version of the pictures?? If I'm plannning on putting this on a CD, instead of emailing, or posting to the web, it seems like I should be able to create as big of a file as needed, no???

I'll be waiting patiently for any ideas, or maybe I need to do some more research for a better slideshow creator!?!

Thanks!
    Reedly.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Hi Reedly, welcome to the forum.

I don't know why you keep asking all these questions. After all your doing a far better job of answering them than we can :D .

Oh well, lets give the latest question a shot!
    The slideshowa that you create on a CD/DVD are in the format of a VCD which will always use MPEG-1 encoding. This is a far lower quality compression than that used on DVD's (MPEG-2) as you can get around 1 hour of vide on a standard CD compared to 1 hour at best quality on a DVD (CD=800Mb, DVD=4.7gb/4700Mb). Due to the differences in files sizes the quality will obviously need to be a lot lower for VCD. I am not aware of any slide show software that will create an MPEG-2 slideshow :rolleyes: , so I think that if you want them to be playable on a DVD player you are stuck with the high compression/lower quality pics.
    It may be worth getting hold of some of the trial versions of software and seeing if you can get better results as different MPEG encoders can make a huge difference to the final quality. Have a look Here & Here for a couple of the free 30 day trial software packages. There are obviously many more if you want to do a bit more searching. The only down side of these options is that after the 30 day trial you will need to spend money to keep useing them. Also some trial software has limited options until you pay for the full package.

HTH,
    Mark.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Unless you really need your slideshow to be "fancy" - i.e., contain transition effects and/or a soundtrack.....

You could take advantage of a little-known feature of the VCD format.

A STILL image on a VCD can have twice the resolution, in each direction, as a movie. That's 704 x 576 which is virtually indistinguishable from the quality of DVD.

But they have to be STILLS not movies. Any transition effect or soundtrack implies movie, so forget it.

If you can get hold of Nero Burning ROM, then all you have to do is select to make a CD in Video CD (PAL) format, and drag & drop your stills into the layout. Nero will convert the files to the VCD still format at the right resolution and then burn your CD.

Then, you can right-click on the files and select a predetermined pause for each one. By default it's infinite, so you have to advance the slideshow yourself using the player's remote (next button). You can set it to automatically advance after a given number of seconds before you burn the CD.

It really is that easy. Caveat: I hear that the maximum is 99 files on a Video CD; that's 99 stills. A friend tells me she made and successfully played one with 101 on it so that caveat may be untrue.