1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video card to capture and send RGB?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, Jan 26, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I can't seem to find reference to a graphics card that can output and / or capture RGB video sources.

Are they all Composite s-video at the moment? Surely TV through an HCPC will suffer without this. Doesn't the Tivo handle RGB?

Is it more usual to build a HCPCs to output DVI?

Ah so many questions.

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You are correct. The only cards to offer RGB are the SweetSpot card and also the Immersive Holo range.

For output then the usual approach is to use a standard graphics card, the Radeon 9600 being the current favourite. Normally an HTPC will be connected to either a plasma or projector, therefore the graphics card will be connected to that by either DVI or VGA.

hope this helps.

3. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    yes it does thanks. I've got a 9600 non pro at the mo, doing my PCs TFT.

Until I can get a decent DVD playback on this (having problems with hardware acceleration at the moment) and until I shell out for a Plasma, I might hold fire.

Shame, 'cause I just got my paws on a copy of Win XP MCE 2004 and am dying to play. Don't want to risk putting it on my main PC...

4. jwexqm

jwexqm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to analogue capture a standard definition PAL source (Sky Digital output) then I suspect the highest quality solution would be using an RGB capture card like the SweetSpot. That's £200 which is a bit steep in my mind.

A cheaper but still good option would be a regular TV card that sports one of the latest generation capture chips (Conexant CX23881 or Philips SAA7134). With this you'd be limited to S-Video but when set up well they're still suprisingly good. Bt878-based cards have now had their day.

As for PC RGB output (to SCART input), well I use this and find it works well. The real page is down at the moment (server upgrade) but will be back after the weekend.

I do agree with you about the lack of interest in RGB I/O on PC hardware. My guess is that most PC-based AV kit is designed for the world market and RGB (SCART and all that) is a bit of a European thing.

James

5. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks James. It's time to start making my own cables then.

I've read else where that the Conexant chipset is a good thing to look for, but manufacturer spec sheets are often lacking in this type of info,

does the LeadTek WinTV200XP expert use it?

6. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    sorry that's a "yes it does", the pdf dataheet states it.

7. jwexqm

jwexqm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes the Leadtek WinTV2000XP Expert does use the Conexant CX23881 chip. I have it and on the whole I'm happy although DScaler support seemed flakey last time I looked. Check out the DScaler forums for more info on that.

The Philips devices are also reputed to be good. I've read that even though on paper it has 1 less bit on the ADC they perform just as well.

I could only find this which lists a few cards and the chips they use. I think MSI does a card too which isn't listed there.

James

8. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW NaTT - you could try installing your XP MCE dual boot.
    It wouldn't then interfere with your stable setup.
    Even better if you can use a seperate HD although I've not had any problems running XP/98SE dual boot on the same HD.

Just a thought :)

9. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Good idea Alex. Despite chats with collegues where we concur that other bits of software do all that MCE does better, now I've got a copy I'd really like to play.....

10. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably with your mates on this one (for the moment), but that doesn't mean it's not fun playing:D

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, TiVo can accept an RGB input via the AUX scart and can also output RGB via the TV scart.

Mark.