Video Card Resolutions using HDMI

P

PaulAnderson

Hi,

I've just set up my HTPC with my GIGABYTE Radeon X800XL 256MB PCIE DVIVO running on my Samsung LE40M61B LCD through it's HDMI cable (using DVI on the PC).

My problem is that the picture looks really sharp in a resolution of 1280x720 but the image doesn't fit the screen. I lose a bit all the way round (enough to not see the status bar in windows). If, however I change the resolution to 1152 x 648, everything fits on the screen, but the image is a bit poor.

Any advise?

Paul

D

DaveP

Apparently the manufacturers have decided that the HDMI socket is just for video equipment so you get overscan. Shame they didn't keep a DVI socket for computer use. The VGA port can also be difficult to get 1:1 pixel mapping on some screens

B

BrianPotter

DaveP said:
Apparently the manufacturers have decided that the HDMI socket is just for video equipment so you get overscan. Shame they didn't keep a DVI socket for computer use. The VGA port can also be difficult to get 1:1 pixel mapping on some screens
Most decent graphics cards allow for adjusting overscan issues with LCD displays.

I have an ageing GeForce4600 and the latest nVidia drivers allow for this.

you can adjust the display by a few pixels to make the image fit, granted it won't be 1280x720 maybe 1240x700 or something like that - but looks great!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom