1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video card branding: important?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Munkey Boy, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Well, I've finally convinced the better half not to chop a needed part of my body off if I get the PC upgraded (even she was impressed by the new Doom 3 video), so I've decided on a new graphics card and TFT monitor.

My question is: does the video card brand you get alter the performance? If a card says its a GF6800GT on the tin, does that means it has to meet certain specifications, so I could just get the cheapest card with that chipset? Has anyone been burnt by a certain company's card due to cheap build quality?

I currently have a Sparkle 4200Ti, and no complaints at all.

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Each different manufacturer uses slightly different board layouts, with varying quality of components. Sparkle are actually known to be unreliable in some instances so you've been lucky with your 4ti. Also, a few graphics card manufacturers, Creative and Leadtek being prime examples, come with their own modified drivers which are in some cases necessary to keep the card stable, so you'll always end up behind everyone else because they don't release drivers as often as nvidia. MSI are more geared towards the video user than the gamer, although they cope quite well in games too. XFX live hard and die young (good performance, short life span) And i've recently bought a Gainward FX5900 golden sample and must say i am extremely impressed by it. Don't know a whole lot about Asus cards.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think most g cards are based around the same design but often have different coloured pcb's and various cooling solutions. As long as you buy a good branded card with warrenty etc you should be ok. I'll be looking for the best card/software bundle for most reaasonable price when I finally decide which card to go for. If your going for an X800 I'd recomend you go for a Vivo card as these appear to be more overclockerable even being moded to 16 pipes and xt speeds :devil: For more info look here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

As for a TFT make sure you get one with a quick refresh rate especially if gaming is a priority. :D

4. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always used Asus graphics cards since I got rid of my first 3Dfx 'bolt-on', those were the days :smoke:

I have not had any problems with them, although they have never seemed to like me trying to overclock them, but once installed have run faultlessly, including the unit where the cooling fan had failed and got so hot I burnt myself! on it.

Skiddins