1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Stumpy, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

When i capture video from my JVC GR-D21EK mini DV camcorder the images displayed on my PC are always dark, sometimes completely black, yet on my camcorder's LCD screen they display nice and bright and very clear!

Do i need a dedicated video capture card?
    I do have a firewire port and the correct cable.
    I have an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB graphics card installed and my drivers are all up to date. Is this card good enough?
    Any ideas, anyone?

system spec:
    XP Home SP2 (the problem existed before i installed SP2)
    512 MB DDR 333 memory
    2.4 Ghz Celeron CPU
    80 Gb HD
    120 Gb HD (video captured on this drive, 94 Gb free space)

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    editing the capture settings in whatever software your using for capturing the video on your computer, there should be a brightness/contrast etc setting on the camera somewhere

have you considered that the brightness on the screen of your cam may be adjusted whereas the video capture is in itself very dark?

jamie

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree with jamie and would suggest playing back your recordings with the camcorder connected directly to a TV to make sure the picture levels are similar to other sources.

Then if you are satisfied thet your tapes play back normally, carry on experimenting with capturing using your firewire connection as you already seem to have all you need to get the best possible quality. :)