Video capture with 2x headset microhpones

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by itz_baseline, Jun 26, 2015.

1. itz_baseline

itz_baseline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, this is quite a specific question which I hope someone can help with. My son and I are very much into gaming on the Xbox and he wants to start making some 'lets play' YouTube videos from the Xbox. Thought it might be a bit of fun....but he's only 5 so he wants to do it with me....father son bonding etc.

I need the full kit (like everything). So I think I have figured most of it, but the thing I'm struggling with is how to record with 2x microphones into the capture software. Ideally we would use 2x headsets as I'm sure you can appreciate a 5 year old isn't going to sit and speak into a traditional desk stand microphone and will be up and down, so headsets are the way forward. Can I just put a y splitter in to put 2x mics into a single input?

I'm open to suggestions of all kit but I think I will need a new laptop, something like this looks powerful enough to play around with videos to edit them and a laptop is better than a desktop depending on what room we are in:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer..._Full_HD_IPS_NVIDIA__NX.MUVEK.046/version.asp

Video capture I'm looking at this Elgato Game Capture HD60:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Capt...laystation/dp/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

But that only allows a single mic input on both the hardware and software.....so that's what is need help with? What kind of headsets should I get, and can I plug both into a single input? Or should I be looking at an alternative video capture setup the allows 2 mic inouts?

Thanks in advance for your help and apologies for a lengthy post

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    I don't know much about this area but I wouldn't have thought you could combine the cables or anything like that. Cheapest option is probably to use the microphone socket on the laptop, that'll be a separate sound device from the one provided by the USB capture box.

Laptop-wise the i7 quad will certainly help but you can find it on cheaper laptops without features like the powerful graphics card that probably won't be of much use to you (video editing software as a rule is mostly CPU calculations, check the one you're using to see how much use it can make of the graphics chip). The 60GB SSD will also be a pain as you'll need to delete stuff from it., I'd want 120GB minimum and at today's prices it doesn't make much sense to go below 240GB (£60).