1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Resolution (New Cam Question)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by elliot_01, Dec 26, 2004.

1. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all, and Merry Christmas. :thumbsup:

My brother is getting married at the end of January, in Malaysia, so I'm going to purchase him a video camera, primarily to record the whole event.

After initial research, I'm a bit concerned how many seem to be advertised around the 320x240 (~800,000) pixel mark, at MPEG4. I'm not sure if it's just me being new to video capture, but this resolution seems strikingly low to me.

I'm looking to spend around £300 to £400, so is it just that these models are considered too 'budget range' to provide a decent image quality?

A few of the cams closer to the £400 mark are touching on 1,000,000 pixels, so I feel happier going for one of these, considering my final image quality worry. ie: Sony DCR-HC40

I would very much appreciate comments and advice regarding my issue. Is 320x240 really an acceptable picture quality for video!?

Of course, any recommendations for higher resolution cams within my budget would be great :D

Thanks all.

P.S. I'm currently getting my price/spec ideas from Ebuyer

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Actually I had to check your arithmetic because you gave me a fright. :)

In fact 320 x 240 gives a little less than 80,000.

Most camcorders are potentially capable of full DV resolution (approx 720 x 480) with around 350,000 pixels.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full DV resolution for a PAL camcorder is 720 x 576 (NTSC = 720 x 480) - Many (most) digital camcorders are quite capable of giving that and produce excellent results on a standard TV

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Don't Panic!!!!!

You can happily ignore the 320x240 stated resolution of the CCD as this is for still photographs only. All DV camcorders will give the full resolution of a PAL recording. So the lower budget camcorders should still give a good picture.

The more expensive cams will give better (but still not good) still images. Other than that they will have a better quality lens that will help to give an improved picture along with additional features such as:
    Higher powered zoom
    things like bluetooth connection
    DV-in and possibly AV-in
    etc, etc.

Mark.

5. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to be looking at the lines of resolution when it comes to dv. My camcorder has 540 lines of resolution and is superb for tv playback.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    540 (576 including overscan) lines is the standard PAL resolution and AFAIK all SD DV camcorders will have 540/576 lines of resolution.
    As I said above, more expensive cams will have better lens, larger CCD etc but will all have a resolution of 540/576

Mark.

7. Quilgy

Quilgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Usually this 320x240 refers to the resolution of videos captured using MPEG4 (rather than DV) which can be stored directly on the memory card of the camera rather than the tape. These can be useful if you want to capture something to be placed directly on the Internet, or emailed. The resolution and file size will be much smaller than if you transferred the video off the tape in full 720x576 DV size.

8. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful :thumbsup: