1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by percy961, Aug 20, 2004.

1. percy961

percy961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problems with capturing video from my Camcorder, my video editoring software keeps telling me "No Valid Video capture devices were detected" .....Can anyone tell me how I can check that I have a Valid Video capture devices on my PC, My Graphics card is a 265MB Geoforce FFX5700.. My Video Camcorder is A digital, JVC GR23

or any other help on this matter, I'd be Grateful...Thanks :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Ok to capture from a digital cam you need to connect it to the PC via firewire as USB is not good enough. Or perhaps analogue connections if you have an analogue capture device, but you will loose a lot of the quality going this route.

If connected as above then you need to start everything in the following order:
    connect cam to PC via firewire
    power on cam (in VCR mode)
    boot PC
    start the capture software

If the PC is already running then you wont need to reboot unless you are still having problems. A clean reboot is always a good idea though before starting any video editing.

Mark.

3. percy961

percy961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help and please excuse my lack of technical knowlegede, on my camcorder I have only USB or DV connections, so how does Firewire fit into that scenerio ?

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DV is Firewire - also known as i-link and IEEE1394

You will need a firewire cable with a 4 pin connector on one end (for the camera) and a 6 pin on the other (for your PC) - this is a standard lead readily available in all good camcorder shops.

If you do not have a firewire card in your computer they can be bought quite cheap (£20-£25) usually complete with a cable and take a matter of minutes to install

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    £20 - £25 for a firewire (DV) card :eek:

how about:
    www.ebuyer.co.uk
    Quickfind code: 60573
    £11.74 inc VAT
    two 6 pin sockets and one 4 pin.
    6-4 pin cable included.

Mark.

6. percy961

percy961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To MarkE19 and Beejaycee, Thanks for all your help...Im on the right track now.