1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture problems - sluggish video

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cactusweasel, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Cactusweasel

Cactusweasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there,

I've got a few old VHS tapes I want to put onto DVD so I can finally get rid of my old video recorder, however every time I have tried I come up against a small problem.

My setup at the moment is a 3.4ghz P4, 1gb DDR memory and a Radeon X800Pro with VIVO on it. For software i'm using VirtualDubs capture mode. Getting the video input on the screen isnt a problem, I can get that running fine and running nice and smooth.

My problem is with when I actually capture video. Everything I seem to capture, when you play it back, seems to run a bit sluggish, and nowhere near as smooth as the video looks on the screen, or how it would play on a TV. I have the frame rate capture at 30fps, there are no dropped frames at all, everything seems to record without any problems. The recorded video doesn't actually play slower than the original, ie. a recording of 5 seconds is the same as 5 seconds playback on a TV for example, its just more sluggish, almost like the frame rate is lower, although checking the properties of the recorded video shows that it is indeed 30fps.

I have however been able to record from one VHS tape without this problem, the recorded video from this tape ran perfect, just like it did on the screen beforehand, and also on your TV.

Any ideas? Is there perhaps macrovision or interlacing or something thats messing me about? I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to video so if you have any idea/suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

-
    Adrian

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I take it you are playing back PAL video?

If so you need it set to 25fps.

3. Cactusweasel

Cactusweasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there,

Yes its PAL, i've tried setting to 25fps as well and I get the same problems unfortunately :(