1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture over USB2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, Aug 15, 2005.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'm playing with capturing video using iuVCR or Virtualdub, either uncompressed or squeezed a bit with Hufyuv. So these are big files.

Capture is fine using one of the internal IDE discs. But if I try to use one of two external USB2 HDs there are loads of dropped frames - upto half for uncompressed files. Looks like the USB2 connection cannot handle the data transfer involved. Anything bigger than MPEG2 is verboten.

Is USB2 ruled out for this?

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If your using high speed USB2 devices such as hd's/video capturing devices, you should never try to use more than 1 at the same time, and I would not recommend capturing to a USB2 hard drive, consumes way more power/resources than writing to an IDE drive, hence the reason for the dropped frmes, I personally stay away form the m USB2 Hard Drives, there only for newbie's who cannot install an IDE drive, USB2 drives are generally used for storage/archiving/backing up.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :oops:

EDIT: Philip, sorry can't help with your problem.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I must have just got lucky with all the dozens of IDE hard drives I've installed over the years. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway Lisa.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Or for storing hidef content , or transferring huge files between remote non-networked machines... :rolleyes:

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    .....Or network added storage, or for adding more drives than will fit into a PC case....

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I think the Storage part pretty much summed that up don't you think?

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    And that would include STORING captured video files don't you think.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Ok, let's try and get this back on topic :)

USB2.0 is in fact faster than firewire 400, but unlike firewire it can not transfer data at a continuous speed. Transfer of uncompressed video will work even a firewire 400 interface at close to its limits, so any drop in the transfer rate results in dropped frames. Therefore your only option is to use a firewire external drive (or internal IDE) for uncompressed video.

Mark.

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks Mark.

USB2 can just about handle files compressed using Hufyuv 2.1. I guess what i don't understand fully is that smaller files such as compressed by Hufyuv does not necessarily equal lower rate of data transfer which I would have thought was the limiting factor. Or does the compression also lower the rate of data transfer and thus USB2 can handle it?

Doesn't matter a great deal - got it all working beautifully now, just curious really.

If anybody is interested - a SDI feed from the Sky+ box into the PC; captured by iuvcr; compressed by Hufyuv 2.1; then encoded by Tmpgenc Express 3; then authored onto dual layer discs using DVD Author - produces gorgeous DVDs. Takes a long time though.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I've been delving into dvd authoring recently. DVDLab Pro will be purchased this week most likely. I was considering the tmpgenc encoder too but it initially was put off by its supposed picture qualty compared with some of the other standard encoders ( procoder , mce ) until I found out that procoder was 600quid and tmpgenc is 20quid.

What's your opinion on the quality from tmpgenc? How long does it take to encode on a decent PC? ( I've got 3 decent PCs so I could maybe batch render it)

12. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    But your re- encoding the video to mpeg 2, even though it is in mpeg 2 already "tranmitted in that format", so there is a quality loss, if you use a DVB-S card you can grab the video in it's native mpeg 2 format, just a thought...then it would cut out the compression, heard there was a cam that would accept a sky viewing card, but it's tricky to get working...

I can't stand re-encodes, I wish we were just allowed access to the uncompressed content and we can convert it to whatever format we like, btu I doubt that is ever going to happen, like I prefer Windows Media Video 9, so when I rip dvd's I convert it to WMV, and it looks just as good as the original, but If I had access to the uncompressed source, then I could make it look better than the dvd but with a lower file size..., it sucks..., I just want to double click on the file any play it with 5.1 audio, without any hassle, this is what WMV allows, but to rip it form an already compressed source no thankyou, give me access the the uncompressed version anyday...

Oh and you should see some of my WMV encodes not only do they look amazing but they sound it to, no pixelation what so ever and not glitches or breakup in the audio...it does take a while to endoe like 9 hours, but the end result is worth it, I use Windows Media Encoder, and it's great when you know how to set it up right and best part it is free...

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Keith

I really like the results. I use VBR 2 pass, so a 2 hour movie can take 6 hours or so. Unfortunately you can't set it to single pass which would speed things up. There is a CBR setting also which is probably quicker.

There are lots of filters you can use but many slow it down and are of dubious value. For the money its great value IMHO, and it will handle various file types including MCE2005 dvr-ms without having to convert them first. And it includes an editor so you can trim, cut out adverts etc, frame accurate before you encode.

I've never tried DVDlab pro so can't compare.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Thanks for the info Phil.