1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture is slow...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by roman700, Aug 23, 2005.

1. roman700

roman700

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello.

I've just fitted a firewire card to my computer and using a trial version of Ulead, am transferring video from my camcorder to the computer. It's running at the moment, but it seems to be transferring in real-time. I thought that firewire was x40 faster? I expected it to whizz through. Or is it just that if I did it with USB it would take 40 times longer?!!!

Can someone clarify and if I'm not doing something right, point me in the right direction?

Thanks..

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Transfer of video to a PC via firewire (or even USB1.1/2.0, but in much reduced PQ) is only in real time. The reason is that the camcorder can only play the tape in real time. Regardless of which version of firewire you are stuck at rela time capture I'm afraid :mad: (basic firewire is firewire 400, but can get 800 & I believe 1600 is now available).

Mark.

3. roman700

roman700

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok thanks, that's good to know.