Video capture device ..Newbie

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by percy961, Aug 20, 2004.

1. percy961

percy961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problems With capturing video from my Camcorder, my video editoring software keeps telling me "No Valid Video capture devices were detected" .....Can anyone tell me how I can check that I have a Valid Video capture devices on my PC. My Graphics card is a 265MB Geoforce FFX5700.. My Video Camcorder is A digital, JVC GR23

or any other help on this matter,I'd be Grateful...Thanks :lease:

2. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert on capturing video on a PC but I'm pretty sure you need some form of capture card to do this. (Somebody please correct me if i am wrong). I would guess that if you already had one installed you would probably know about it. How are you attempting to connect the camcorder to the PC at the moment?

If you don't already have a capture card you could buy a decent one for less than £40. The most popular card on this forum for that price is probably the Packard Bell PCTV100 which you can buy from PC World.

Cheers

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Thats exactly right Todda,

some video cards have video inputs on them but I couldn't find on nvidia whether yours does percy. If it did it would be obvious from the documentation/layout of the back panel. If its not obvious its fair to say it doesn't have the right inputs.

I'd second the PBTV100, its great quality and very reasonably priced. Don't waste your money on anything more.

Owain