1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Feb 11, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

So if I wanted to archive old VHS tapes, or music videos from a DVD onto my hard drive, what software would I need to achieve this.

I currently have both a Black Gold DVB-T card as well as a PVR150 MCE.

Software is MCE 150.

Any help most appreciated.

Adrian

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You could try these....

Windows Movie Maker (free but basic)
    Pinnacle Studio 9
    DScaler
    Virtual Dub
    Nero Vision Express

lisa

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thank you Lisa..

Having heard about Dscaler, I just vissited their web site.

It seems that the cards that I have brought are not supported...

All I want to do is to record electronically VHS stuff (including trainng videos that I use) and play them back on my PC with out having to carry around an aging VHS player to connect up to the projector!!

AArrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sounds like a reasonable request...

At the moment do you use your tv cards to record live tv?
    If so, try plugging the rf aerial out on the vcr to the rf aerial in on a tv card and re-scanning for channels, press play on the vcr and record on the pc and see if it works?

I have done this before with an old hauppauge card and win tv - it worked fine..

lisa

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Yes and no Lisa...

I have not tried to use my TV card(s) with analgoue systems.

However your suggestion is a good one and well I like it as its a god example of KISS (Keep it simple; stupid).

I could try connecting the vcr to the PVR150 and see what happens, if need be re set back to freeview in MCE afterwards...

i like it loads....

I could almost kiss you for that Lisa :blush: :p :blush:

I shall try it over the week end (if time allows) and let you know.

I have on order scart to composite and scart to s-video as well for experimentation. Virtual dub may be useful as well, as your suggestion wont allow me to copy music tracks of DVd onto my hard drive.

Is there a software package that will allow me to record DVD and edit it down to individual music tracks?

Why is this HTPC lark, well not necessary difficult but nor is it as straight forward as it seems....

Adrian

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    It's good fun though isn't it :zonked:

Ripping audio from a DVD, now there's a thing I haven't tried, I am sure it is possible - I have used Cool Edit Pro to edit audio tracks, that was quite good. I use Auto Gordian Knot to rip DVD's to the hard drive and I am sure it must capture the audio separately.

Try www.videohelp.com

Good luck
    lisa

7. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    :( :(

Help please....

I have got my PVR150 MCE crd to work, and using the Windows Movie Player software, I am able to connec t both a VHS tape and Pal Laser disc player to the sysem, and i do indeed get audio and picture.

However the picture is black and white. :(

I have tried searching both this news group and the Hauppauge forum for any lhelp. There are various threads on this problem is discuissed but no real solutions. However several threads mention the use of an Composite to s vidoe adaptor taht came with their card. I did not receve such an adapter!

I am currently using a Scart to Composite and audio out scart lead which is switchable, When i flick the switch the B&W picture dissappears!

Can any one make a suggestion on how I can get a colour picture? I have on order from Maplin a Scart to S-Video Lead. Will this solve the problem?

Then I can achieve my aim of recording video albeit a long and expensive route.
    Adrian

8. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    When I play the file sback in MCE rather than the capture software or media play, the files are indeed colour.

Obviously the problem goes back to my graphics problem that I have with soem software, ie black and white.

At last :)

:clap: :clap:

Lets now try it for real

And tamper with file sizes etc

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Phew :D

10. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A word of caution. If you are copying in old VHS tapes, beware time sync problems. Not the realtively simple to correct "everything is out by a few miiliseconds" variety, but a creeping problem where the audio gets more and more out of sync as you record. No known software fix for this, but there are ways of getting around it.

The best is to use a TBC (time base corrector). This is hardware that sits either as part of your capture card, or as a separate box. Typically, the more expensive the card, the more likely it is to have TBC.

A cheaper alternative is to keep your captures short. Each capture starts in sync, but if you keep them short, you might not notice the drift in each "segment". Opinions vary on the what "short" means, it can be as low as 10 mins.

Not all tapes give you the problem, but the older they are the more likely it is.

Have fun!