Video Capture Audio Problem

Hitachi163

Novice Member
I have a version of Arcsoft Showbiz 3.5.15.68 to use as video capture for transfer of my old VHS tapes to digital format.
I have noticed the audio lags as the recording progresses and ends up being out of sync over the duration of the finished product.
Is there any advice anybody could give as to how to fix the problem? I'm sure it would be a simple fix for anybody with experience of this type of thing.
I am running it on Windows 10 platform. Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance.

Bolosun

I use ffmpeg to capture the video from my VHS tapes. I tried the Arcsoft s/w and the lag was dreadful. No issues use ffmpeg.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If the audio lag is constant throughout (i.e. doesn't "drift" one way or the other) then it's quickly and easily (ish) fixed by using a free app called tsMuxeR.

Given that presumably you have already captured some or all of your tapes realtime, recapturing them using another app will take the same length of time I guess. Fixing what you already have may be quicker.

One file at a time:
1: Watch video and estimate how much and in which direction the audio is "off" - early or late?
2: Add file to tsMuxeR (which should show a video and audio stream).
3: Highlight the audio stream and apply an audio delay. Negative number if the audio runs late (behind the image); positive number if it runs early. Measured in 1000ths of a second (millisconds).
4: Remux it to .ts or .m2ts. This typically takes only a few seconds - but you will need disc space for the extra file created. It's not re-encoded; just split and rejoined.
5: Watch the NEW video and estimate how much and in which direction the audio is "off" - early or late?
Go to 1 (with the original file) if necessary and repeat with an adjusted delay value - trial and error - till you get it right.
The more you do, the better you get at that initial estimate. It may be that your capture app is predictable and they are all the same (in which case items 2+ will be one attempt only); or not.

Hitachi163

Novice Member
If the audio lag is constant throughout (i.e. doesn't "drift" one way or the other) then it's quickly and easily (ish) fixed by using a free app called tsMuxeR.

Given that presumably you have already captured some or all of your tapes realtime, recapturing them using another app will take the same length of time I guess. Fixing what you already have may be quicker.

One file at a time:
1: Watch video and estimate how much and in which direction the audio is "off" - early or late?
2: Add file to tsMuxeR (which should show a video and audio stream).
3: Highlight the audio stream and apply an audio delay. Negative number if the audio runs late (behind the image); positive number if it runs early. Measured in 1000ths of a second (millisconds).
4: Remux it to .ts or .m2ts. This typically takes only a few seconds - but you will need disc space for the extra file created. It's not re-encoded; just split and rejoined.
5: Watch the NEW video and estimate how much and in which direction the audio is "off" - early or late?
Go to 1 (with the original file) if necessary and repeat with an adjusted delay value - trial and error - till you get it right.
The more you do, the better you get at that initial estimate. It may be that your capture app is predictable and they are all the same (in which case items 2+ will be one attempt only); or not.
Hi, thanks very much for the advice. I'll double check if I have a constant lag or drifting...If its constant, I'll give your method a try. Thanks again, it's appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom