1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GooN3r, Nov 18, 2004.

1. GooN3r

GooN3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have just bought my girlfriend a Digital Video Camera for Christmas, she knows very little about how to use them but wants to learn. She wants to be able to transfer the movies onto my PC and edit them.

Having done a little bit of reading I understand that she needs some sort of video capture card to do this.

The camera I have bought is a Panasonic NV-GS120EB.

Can you recommend me a product that will allow her to transfer and edit the videos on my pc? Will installing a video capture card cause conflicts with my 9800Pro?

What bundles do you recommend; I would be prepared to spend up to £200-£300, but if there is something alot cheaper that does the job then let me know.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do NOT need a video capture card - what you do need is a firewire card in your PC - which it may already have - if so all you need is a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable. If you do not have a firewire caard in your PC there is a good option here :-
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_61&products_id=782
    which is for a card and cable together.

You will also need video capture and editing software - if you have Windows XP you will also have Microsoft MovieMaker - a beginners package supplied free but quite able to capture and edit digital video. Also if you buy the card above it says it comes free with Ulead VideoStudio which will also capture and edit video - or you can get a free trial of VideoStudio here :-
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/trial.htm

Do NOT be tempted to transfer your video to your PC via USB - you will be very disappointed.

3. GooN3r

GooN3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for the reply Beejaycee, I managed to get the camera connected and captured the footage from the tape, however:

I have a strange problem with the above program, when I click on an option the window that opens is too small to see the entire content. What’s more when I try to click on the buttons that are viewable they often don’t respond. Strangely I can negotiate the screen using the keys without any problems.

What could be causing this and is there an option to maximise windows when opened?

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - which programme are you using - Moviemaker or Ulead Video Studio

I don't know about moviemaker - I don't use it - for help with that best place to look is www.papajohn.org . If you mean Ulead is your screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 - ulead needs that setting.

5. GooN3r

GooN3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Movie maker

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see above post

7. oxford

oxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using Movie Maker 1 or 2 ?, version 2 comes free with the XP SP2 update, the only problem I find with Movie Maker 2 is you cannot burn final movie to DVD only to SVCD. but look on the www.papajohn.org website for good info.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    As for watching the video at full screen on the PC the chances are that you wont be able to if you do not have enough video memory on the video card. This is not a problem as the quality on the PC monitor will be fairly low quality, but the actual file will still be full quality. If you need to monitor at full screen/quality then you ned to connect a TV to the camcorder or a TV output card.

Mark.