1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video cables - thin or thick?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bearded_Malc, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Looking at cable specs for some home-brew cables it seems it is cheaper to get a fat solid centre core cable which also has the benefit of braid and copper foil screen. That is RG59 size. There is also some RG179 which is thin, single screen but 7x0.1 centre core so flexible. And thin enough to go into a scart. The RG59 size would give me better screening but not easy to get into a scart and being solid might not take well to bending.

Any thoughts on this? How well does a solid core take to being bent? I wouldn't expect this to bent often, only the odd occasion when the TV was moved out for cleaning or to change the view angle.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you're planning on using scart connectors you'd be better off getting some multicore video cable. :)

3. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't see why. 4 separate cores would be more flexible and being further apart interfere with each other less. The cabling I need is actually scart to RCA/BNC and RCA to RCA.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Bearded Malc

I doubt you'll get 4 x RG59 into many SCART hoods - if your going DIY you would do well to go with VanDamme Red Series 4 or 5 core Mini Multicore.

We makes loads of these up as SCART to 4RCA or 4BNC for use with Video Processors and also SCART to 5RCA or 5BNC for use with Pro gear.

The Red Series cables are very flexible, well screened and don't trash your video signal - and are relatively low cost at just over £6.00 a meter for un-terminated lengths of the five core.

Best regards

Joe

5. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Joe,

Good suggestion. I must admit I'm rather anti OFC since I don't believe it makes a difference but other than that it looks a good cable.

BTW my plan for the scart was to use a screw together type and the drill holes at the joint to feed the RG59 straight in. Either make the holes on the tight side or tywraps for the cable clamp. It is at the back after all so doesn't need to look pretty.

Even with the Van Damme I might have problems as I have audio to get out too.