Video cable for installation

deckard

Standard Member
Well, I'm considering rewiring/redecorating my room this year, and whilst I don't have a projector yet, I want to install cabling for one in the future.

Thinking about s-video and component at this point (unlikely to be able to afford DVI/HDMI for a long time).

I've found some suitable wall sockets, see here, that feature component and s-video.

I've also come across some cable here that would appear to do the trick.

Anyone any experience with this cable? Is it easy enough for an amateur to terminate? Anybody suggest anything else?
 

ReTrO

Well-known Member
Avoid the wall plates since they are unlikely to be 75ohm and won't do anything for the image quality. best just to go direct through a blanking plate.

Cable wise I'd chose some Belden 1505a cable, it's not too big but is true 75ohm and shouldn't cos the earth. It's look to put in 6 runs of it, that was you could either have CVBS, S-video and component, or RGBHV (from a scaler or PC etc) and have a spare still. It will also be worth running in a couple runs of Cat5 cable for any future IR sending or 232 etc.

Terminations, a wide choice here, ideally I'd look at crimp BNC'ing them all and them adding BNC-S-video adapters if needed etc.

Also well worth putting a couple of draw cords to full though an HDMi/DVi cable at a later date if needed.

Hopefully this should give you some ideas.
 

deckard

Standard Member
Thanks ReTro.

Yeah, I know about the plates, but I'm not having bare wires dangling out of the wall for ever and a day until I eventually get a PJ, hence the possible requirement for the wall plates.

Good idea about the Cat5 runs and draw cord too.:smashin:

Ultimately I'm not in a hurry though and might well wait until the grand day I actually get a projector before doing this project. If that's the case I'll definitely avoid the plates and probably get some Belden cable and beg someone to fit some Canare plugs!
 
F

fufna

Guest
Originally posted by ReTrO
Avoid the wall plates since they are unlikely to be 75ohm and won't do anything for the image quality. best just to go direct through a blanking plate.

Cable wise I'd chose some Belden 1505a cable, it's not too big but is true 75ohm and shouldn't cos the earth. It's look to put in 6 runs of it, that was you could either have CVBS, S-video and component, or RGBHV (from a scaler or PC etc) and have a spare still. It will also be worth running in a couple runs of Cat5 cable for any future IR sending or 232 etc.

Terminations, a wide choice here, ideally I'd look at crimp BNC'ing them all and them adding BNC-S-video adapters if needed etc.

Also well worth putting a couple of draw cords to full though an HDMi/DVi cable at a later date if needed.

Hopefully this should give you some ideas.
Erm, adding crimped BNC's and then plugging into Svideo adaptors will degrade the signal just as badly as running them through gold plated female to male surface mount hardware

Any signal degredation will be miniscule anyway.
 

ReTrO

Well-known Member
Originally posted by fufna
Erm, adding crimped BNC's and then plugging into Svideo adaptors will degrade the signal just as badly as running them through gold plated female to male surface mount hardware

Any signal degredation will be miniscule anyway.
I was thinking more along the lines of signal loss down a pokey little s-video cable.;)

Not that any of us really use S these days any hoos.:D
 
F

fufna

Guest
Originally posted by ReTrO
I was thinking more along the lines of signal loss down a pokey little s-video cable.;)

Not that any of us really use S these days any hoos.:D
They do if they video switch 6 sources ;-) try doing all of them component only
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom