Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Video Cable 20 metres long... can it be done

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tim2inc, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tim2inc

tim2inc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

this is my situation, I have a computer in one room and a projector in another the distance is around 20 metres. Between each of the rooms I have conduit which was laid in the walls and in the ceiling for ease of cable installation - but when I asked the electrician who laid the conduit to put in a video cable from the computer room to the home theatre room he said it was not possible to get a video cable to work that distance (20m). :confused:

I have s-video ins and outs on the projector and computer,

I also have rca sockets on both,

To all you cable gurus out there - Is it possible???? and what type of cable would I need? would rg6 do with rca sockets soldered on???

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,076
    tim2inc

We keep VanDamme 20m S-Video cables in stock so no problem getting a cable for you - as to how well the signal holds up over 20m I cant say; that's down to the quality of the transmitter in your PC.

Assuming the S-Video out on your PC produces a decent image over a short cable (back to that later) and if you then find the signal drops off too much over the long cable you may need to install an S-Video signal amp next to the PC.

Do you really want (or have to) use S-Video out from the PC - if your projector has a PC input you'll be better served taking the VGA (RGBHV) signal from the PC's Graphic card to the Projector; if your PC has a single HD15 (VGA) output you can install a 1:2 VGA Distribution amp.

Let me know if you want more info on any of the above.

Best regards

Joe

3. tim2inc

tim2inc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Joe, Ill probably go through with your idea (VGA solution, though you maybe a little too far away to send any product to me, Im in NZ)...

I didnt realise you could get VGA amplifiers. Thanks

Tim

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,076
    Hello Tim

If your stuck we'll get kit over to NZ - the Royal Mail Parcel Force get to most corners of the Globe!

If you go VGA find your local Kramer Electronics distributor - the VP-200Dxl is the product to go for; its a relatively low cost (GBP 130.00) 1:2 VGA Distribution Amp with variable Line Drive for the long cable run.

See http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/desc.asp?p=VP-200Dxl

Best regards

Joe