Video backup advice needed please

owenmahamilton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined the forum and this is my first post and I hope someone can help me. I have just bought a Veho Muvi K2 Action Camera and a 32Gb SD Card which when recording at 1080P @ 30 frames per second has enough battery life and memory to allow me to record four hours of footage in one go. I'm going to be taking it on a cruise to New York and then staying for 3 nights before coming back to the UK. What I'd like to do if possible is at the end of each day remove the full SD card from the camera, transfer the files onto some sort of backup device, then reformat the SD card ready for the next days filming and so on and so on. The problem I have got is that the camera automatically saves the files on the card in MP4 format in chunks of 2Gb and names them FILE0001.mp4 and then numbers consecutively. This is ok for the first day but when I try and copy the files over on the second day it will obiously want to write over the existing files so I need to be able to rename the files on the backup device to say something like Holiday Video Day 1 Part 1 and so on and so on. I don't really want to take a laptop with me as we won't have that much room in suitcases and hand luggage due to needing room for medical supplies that I need. So does anyone know of any kind of device that would do what I want? Thank you and sorry for the long first post, I hope it makes sense and I hope I posted it in the correct place. Thanks again.

With 16GB cards priced around £5 each, it's probably just simpler, cheaper (and smaller!) to take a new card for each day. I can't see you needing to record 4 hours of footage every day.. unless you intend to bore someone to death after your holiday!:)

You can get a standalone device - like this for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Picture-Drive-EX205K-Storage/dp/B005R1738Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

but they're not cheap....

Regarding your file naming problem. I'm guessing the files will be date stamped as well, so overwriting shouldn't be a problem....

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes go with the SD cards. You could buy 20-30 cards with the cost of the downloader PLUS you will have cover against a faulty card. Look for a decent name like Sandisk or Kingston.
You should be able to format the cards in the camera and you can write on the card label to keep them in some sort of order.
Don't forget extra batteries and a multi voltage charger!

I don't really want to take a laptop with me as we won't have that much room in suitcases and hand luggage due to needing room for medical supplies that I need. So does anyone know of any kind of device that would do what I want?
Cards in their cases will take up less room than a download device.

This is ok for the first day but when I try and copy the files over on the second day it will obiously want to write over the existing files so I need to be able to rename the files on the backup device to say something like Holiday Video Day 1 Part 1 and so on and so on
Always re-format the cards in the camera before reuse.

I hope you have a decent video editor at this end to cut the 4 hours to a few minutes!:facepalm:

Last edited:
"4hrs a day" seems excessive, (unless it's for some safe-secure reason?)...ie to be deleted at some time in the future. It will be interesting to read what OP plans to do with the Edit-process!
However, the 1T drive is only marginally more expensive than the 500G = and should provide oodles of storage. What I didn't find was being able to have Day- ( or Project) folders...and it says the card reading limit is 32G - which isn't future-proof IMHO. Does the display show the pictures? I didn't find this either... +it's late in the day.

It's true you get a lot of cards for the same money - and FWIW, I ID mine with a Letter-code which is then given a number+letter in the PC. When you re-use a card the Letter is reused and a (higher) new number applies. This attempts to keep the master-copy files in the order taken.
I wonder which is "best-option" for an on-the-move holiday? The mechanical drive should be reliable, but you have no control over the Brand, whereas the cards you may be reasonably sure if they are tested first at home.

You should always format in the camera, as Terfyn says.

Reminds me when I got my first HD camera and we went on holiday bought a ton of cards - thinking I'd have just enough for the 10 day holiday (I did also consider the external backup device but opted for cards). Turned out the camera was locked in the hotel safe for most of the time and I only ended up using 2x 32G cards - and even those weren't full .. Guess we were enjoying the holiday too much :)
Still got some fantastic video though. Sometimes less is more.
Good luck and enjoy !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom