1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIDEO: Auro-3D discusses Immersive Audio and Blu-ray at CES 2016

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,138
    2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +754
      I like Wilfried. He seams like such a nice bloke and passionate about audio.

He's also right about so many things:-
      - his explanation of our brains handling of overhead sounds is bang on.
      - He's right about top corner speaker installation being far more achievable than a ceiling installation.
      - and he's right about the importance of mastering in a 'channel', as opposed to 'object', based format.

In fact, as a moderately well educated audio person myself, I find it slightly frustrating that Dolby & DTS are more readily on the tips of people's tongues when it comes to immersive audio.

IMO, Auro3D would better serve the market than its competing immersive audio formats Dolby Atmos & DTS X and I hope it kicks their butts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. edd666999

edd666999

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +204
      Really enjoyed that interview, have to echo Jules opinion of Wilfried, seems like a genuine, honest guy.

My mind is going round in circles now about in-ceiling vs Auro speaker placement.

4. wl1

wl1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +580
      I am convinced by WVB on a lot of his points too.
      Easier to install, more natural sounding, and object based will be relevant with more speakers/larger cinema - less so at home.

I also agree about Atmos layout playing back Auro is less convincing than Auro setup playing back Atmos.

I think he has conceded that getting BR released has been tough convincing Studios though, as Auro has little market share in speaker setup. A catch 22 for him.

It has loads of promise, but it's do or die - get some BRs released - it will stand a chance.

Else it may be reserved for music.

Last point - For those who think DSU is for Movies, and Auro is for Music - it's just wrong. If you watch action films, helicopters/bullets etc - then the object and overhead stuff in Atmos is great. But for most other genres, and with more music based content, Auro offers a much more natural envelopment - with a music presentation which retains the front stage. DSU kills that.

5. shinken

shinken

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      Loving these detailed yet easy to understand interviews where all the right questions are asked.
      Keep up the good work

6. Lesmor

Lesmor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,039
      Auro 3D was the first to market with Immersive audio and it was WVB who got me excited about the new format.
      Looking at the company website and the facilities he built it is very impressive, he certainly is not relying on Auro 3D to be a success but it is a pity it hasn't had more support.

Unfortunately lack of BR discs has all but killed Auro as a contender.
      When Dolby Atmos first appeared they stated it would not be available to the consumer market as they wanted a USP for cinemas to get bums on seats.
      I suspect with Auro 3D in the background they had a rethink and changed there stance and that's why we now have Atmos available for home.

I haven't heard Auro but the speaker set-up would be far easier to implement than in ceiling and to get the full effect of Atmos I believe that is a must as IMO my Front heights or Rear heights just don't cut it for Atmos.

Wilfried comes across as a genuine and likeable guy its a pity the marketing of Auro 3D looks like it is going to fail.